Why become a member? ×

Looking for an old school valve amp - maybe?!!

bassintheface

Hey guys, hope you’re all keeping well?

essentially, I have a valve amp itch I think I need to scratch!

as I’m not gigging 3/4 times a week anymore I’m considering moving back from the lightweight class D side (Aguilar TH500 and SL cabs) and going vintage and valve.

i use P and Jazz basses.

i don’t need the power and weight of an SVT or similar, or even a DB750 / 751 (I know it isn’t ALL valve).

so I was thinking maybe something like a Fender Bassman 135.

i also thought about an Ampeg v4  too.

i just need something I can gig with a full band with.

anything else worth considering and looking for?

was thinking of pairing with a nice BF cab too with silver grille for that retro look!

cheers

Edited by bassintheface

Reverb is always worth a scan.  I got my Peavey Alphabass off there - 160w via 6 x 6L6GC, lovely.  Theres always cheap Sound Citys on ebay and the like for around £350-£450 but not great for bass unless its the Mk3 models (in which case the price goes up).  Fender Bassman 100/135's often pop up and with only a 4 x 6L6GC power section a full revalve wont be TOO much.  If going vintage I would always set aside say £100 for a tech visit, plus the cost of a revalve just in case.  Id also check out the very cheap Bugera 1960, whilst its marketed as a guitar amp it worked fine for me on bass, 100w via 4 x EL34's

11 minutes ago, Pow_22 said:

Reverb is always worth a scan.  I got my Peavey Alphabass off there - 160w via 6 x 6L6GC, lovely.  Theres always cheap Sound Citys on ebay and the like for around £350-£450 but not great for bass unless its the Mk3 models (in which case the price goes up).  Fender Bassman 100/135's often pop up and with only a 4 x 6L6GC power section a full revalve wont be TOO much.  If going vintage I would always set aside say £100 for a tech visit, plus the cost of a revalve just in case.  Id also check out the very cheap Bugera 1960, whilst its marketed as a guitar amp it worked fine for me on bass, 100w via 4 x EL34's

I have no problem using my Sound City MKIV for bass.  They can be really good (near Hiwatt build quality and quiet), they can also be 'dogs' (rats nest wiring, dry solder joints and noisy).  If you get a 'dog' they make the basis of a good Hiwatt clone.   

depending on your budget, I always highly recommend Matamp. They have a range and you can have a chat with them about your needs and how their product line up could meet it. I think they do a 150w bass amp, not sure about lower. They have a vintage vibe to them, but I'd probably go new over used as the used market seems a bit crazy on them. 

Otherwise, Burman are also really cool vintage - straight forward. Normally about the 100w mark. I had one for a while but it didnt quite cut it in my set up at that time. 

Sounds like a fun hunt!! Best of luck :) 

3 hours ago, Salt on your Bass? said:

depending on your budget, I always highly recommend Matamp. They have a range and you can have a chat with them about your needs and how their product line up could meet it. I think they do a 150w bass amp, not sure about lower. They have a vintage vibe to them, but I'd probably go new over used as the used market seems a bit crazy on them. 

Otherwise, Burman are also really cool vintage - straight forward. Normally about the 100w mark. I had one for a while but it didnt quite cut it in my set up at that time. 

Sounds like a fun hunt!! Best of luck :) 

cheers!

Ashdown CTM100 definitely worth a look.  The Ampeg PF50t is a great amp too (had one) but you'd need to run it through the PA if it's a large room or a loud band.  

I believe Oli Foxen is the valve amp expert on here. 

• Like 1