Why become a member? ×

Tele bass buying advice?

meterman

10 hours ago, Jus Lukin said:

I love a Tele II bass. My Squier has been bastardised into a hippyish jack-of-all-trades so can be many things, but I'm still a huge fan of that whopping great neck pickup! (Photo to follow, as I'm on my laptop and any snaps I have are on my phone!)

@meterman, I'm pretty sure the Squier Precision TB was just Sunburst, although I share your love of that colour- Butterscotch Blonde, maybe?! I dunno, all those colour names seem to belong to the world of audiophiles and wine snobs, but yeah... that one. It feels like the archetypal Tele II bass colour.

I always think of it as a sort of Dijon mustard / Colonel Mustard colour if that makes sense?

Both your basses there look awesome by the way. 👍 The Squier is probably what I'll get if I can find one used.

18 minutes ago, Jus Lukin said:

Do you mean more like the 50's colour? I think that tends to be more on the very first Precisions and reissues thereof. I don't think I've seen any late 60's/early 70's Tele basses in that colour, but the white they did does yellow off somewhat over time! This is that 50's get-up...

1916194299_50sP.thumb.png.c94394e56a60b39636d18c1cf6ac215f.png

Ah right, I'm wrong then! 😂

The colour I really like is the buttery colour, like on my old Bullet or like  @yorks5stringer 's Tele bass. It really pops with a maple neck and white scratchplate. Like this (not that I'm obsessed or owt)  ⬇️

Bullet bass.jpeg

unnamed-1.jpg

Edited by meterman
added image

9 hours ago, meterman said:

Ah right, I'm wrong then! 😂

The colour I really like is the buttery colour, like on my old Bullet or like  @yorks5stringer 's Tele bass. It really pops with a maple neck and white scratchplate. Like this (not that I'm obsessed or owt)  ⬇️

Bullet bass.jpeg

unnamed-1.jpg

Hate to be a pedant but that is not mine , no crack: here's mine and not so yellow either, I think the refin colour was vintage white?

P1050074.thumb.JPG.6ba33088ad5eaf8b6c75516e25fe016d.JPG

11 hours ago, yorks5stringer said:

Hate to be a pedant but that is not mine , no crack: here's mine and not so yellowimageproxy.php?img=&key=d49e236f730b63a2 eitherimageproxy.php?img=&key=d49e236f730b63a2imageproxy.php?img=&key=d49e236f730b63a2, I think the refin colour was vintage white?

P1050074.thumb.JPG.6ba33088ad5eaf8b6c75516e25fe016d.JPG

D'oh! Absolutely right, sorry yorks5stringer, my error, that'll learn me to only post when fully awake! Amazing work you did on that btw, the patch up looks flawless in the photo 😎

On 26/05/2020 at 14:03, kodiakblair said:

Single coil P-basses and Tele basses are my favourites. I've built a few so have an idea what works and what doesn't.

1444732800_TeleBasses.thumb.JPG.9140f65bf06df2b0d1c5059023da1a0c.JPG

I’d be interested to know your opinion of this one 

Ive often been tempted but not yet bought one

Thanks

F8A567B1-5C61-42C5-854C-DB735AC6281F.jpeg

On 26/05/2020 at 10:18, meterman said:I need a bit of advice about which bass to buy. Unfortunately I haven't got megabucks to spend and there's no option to try basses out in stores, at least not for a while.

I used to have a brilliant USA Fender Bullet Deluxe bass (you know, with the Mustang pickups and Tele bass neck) it was my absolute favourite to play but I had to sell it

When I got my Fender Bullet Deluxe it was a real bargain, nobody seemed to want them or know much about them but that's changed now. I'll certainly never find one in my 'Tesco Value' budget! Unless I find a stripped or modded one but the chances of that happening are pretty slim I'd guess. I know there's the MIJ Squier versions but I never see them anywhere, they seem to be rarer than the USA Fender models. 

I really appreciate any help or advice you can give me on this! 🙏

Cheers - Lee

Lee 

Ive got two black/maple MIJ Squier Bullet basses

Pm me if interested 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, meterman said:

Tidy job there mate 👍

The grain on that bass is stunning btw. It's a looker!

Thanks Meterman, it’s a veneer but looks really good

3 hours ago, yorks5stringer said:

Ah yes, Blue Peter's 'sticky backed plastic'

Here’s a couple of pics of one I made earlier 

2B23F6E4-1A79-4454-B2A2-A057E0C54DAE.jpeg

53C1F2A0-73BA-4E19-B8A2-550A901F5385.jpeg

4461A399-C0DC-4AF6-AD36-807724644DF9.jpeg

• Like 3