Why become a member? ×

The song's pants but the bassline's a cracker

We've probably done this before but whatevah. Early this morning I was practising the bassline to Money Go Round by The Style Council. While Weller's vocals on this are pretty woeful and the female backing vocals are bluddy atrocious, they're worth enduring for the bass. So, what bassline would you like to figure out but your dislike of the song get's in the way or you've somehow managed to overcome it. Next up for me, Club Tropicana. Terrible, trite song but the bassline is top notch.

I tried to start a thread like this once but just got burned by other people explaining to me that the examples I gave weren't cr*p. Oh and helping me to understand the function of subjectivity and its application in popular music. 

For which lessons I am eternally grateful. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

This thread is doomed to go down the same route. It is all down to taste. Many songs that I dislike are loved by millions and Im sure many I love are equally disliked. I am not nocking your post mate, I am just warning you how it may go 😉

17 minutes ago, ubit said:

This thread is doomed to go down the same route. It is all down to taste. Many songs that I dislike are loved by millions and Im sure many I love are equally disliked. I am not nocking your post mate, I am just warning you how it may go 😉

Yeah I take your point. Some threads start off being deliberately subjective but they end up drifting into 'there are only two types of music, good and bad' blah blah. This one is about songs one might really dislike (and be entitled to do so) except for what you think is a cracker of a bassline. I'm not sure some people always read OPs properly but just pick up on a sentence and run with it. So please peeps, let's not let it turn into a 'songs I hate' thread.

Edited by Barking Spiders
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

Yeah I take your point. Some threads start off being deliberately subjective but they end up drifting into 'there are only two types of music, good and bad' blah blah. This one is about songs one might really dislike (and be entitled to do so) except for what you think is a cracker of a bassline. I'm not sure some people always read OPs properly but just pick up on a sentence and run with it. So please peeps, let's not let it turn into a 'songs I hate' thread.

It doesn’t help that the header of the thread is the opposite of what you would like it’s content to be.

’The songs pants’ is a statement which is probably even stronger than ‘songs I hate’.

’The songs pants’ according to who exactly?

Not wishing to start an argument, but if you start off with a statement like that, it’s gonna go downhill rapidly.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

It doesn’t help that the header of the thread is the opposite of what you would like it’s content to be.

’The songs pants’ is a statement which is probably even stronger than ‘songs I hate’.

’The songs pants’ according to who exactly?

Not wishing to start an argument, but if you start off with a statement like that, it’s gonna go downhill rapidly.

But the inference in any OP title is that it's nearly always subjective. 

13 minutes ago, FDC484950 said:

Are you sure? Thought it was Pino. If it was John he was doing a mean Pino impersonation 😁

I'd always assumed it was Gibbo. Ah well, you learn summat every day. 

Generally if I’m not a fan of a song then I find it hard to disassociate myself from the whole thing, regardless of the parts, but In the spirit of what I’m sure Mr Spiders intended, I really don’t like Ain’t No Doubt by Jimmy Nail, but I think the bass line is an absolute killer.

I remember seeing it on TOTP at the time and being a) perplexed by the sight of Jimmy Nail rapping, and b) blown away by the bass line.

As an aside, the first series of Auf Wiedersehen, Pet is still one of my favourite bits of British telly, and Jimmy Nail’s Oz one of the finest TV characters of that or any era.

• Like 4

On 26/05/2020 at 08:41, stewblack said:

Anyway, I'd say Wake Me Up Before You Go Go is a prime example. 

The bass playing on those Wham records is very very good. My wife was blasting it on a Bose speaker and it really opened my eyes to how good it was.

• 1 month later...

😊 Gosh, the stick you get for trying to have a bit of fun! I understand your intent - but perhaps others would rather you’d put things more mildly, like: “nominate a bassline that is probably better than its song” etc. Anyway, first random one that comes to mind:

🎸 1992/Charles & Eddie/Duophonic/Unconditional. 

‘Course it’s subjective - heck, even the same listener could change his/her mind upon playing back the tune. But, harmless fun... 😊

Edited by Thundr
Insert smiley, make humour clear
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Thundr said:

Gosh, the stick you get for trying to have a bit of fun! I understand your intent - but perhaps others would rather you’d put things more mildly, like: “nominate a bassline that is probably better than its song” etc. Anyway, first random one that comes to mind:

1992/Charles & Eddie/Duophonic/Unconditional. 

‘Course it’s subjective - heck, even the same listener could change his/her mind upon playing back the tune. But, harmless fun... 

Yep it was only ever intended as a bit of lighthearted goofing around. I can easily dissociate the bits I like from songs I generally don't like. E.g. I don't like Rush's and Led Zep's music but there are some great basslines in there. Ramble On has a great bassline though I'd happily tune out the rest

I find that after a while playing a good bassline on a song you don't like, you start tolerating the song a bit more. Like that Dua Lupa song that someone had said about a few weeks ago.

I have been playing some steely dan songs recently. I was never a fan and their music doesn't do anything for me (I won't say they are bad, I just don't really like them) but the basslines are hugely fun to play and different to stuff I normally do which makes it interesting.

I agree with the aint no doubt, posted earlier, heard it on one of the guy pratt lockdowns, never noticed the song as I couldn't get past the music, but its pretty good.

• Like 1

On 26/05/2020 at 08:39, stewblack said:

I tried to start a thread like this once but just got burned by other people explaining to me that the examples I gave weren't cr*p. Oh and helping me to understand the function of subjectivity and its application in popular music. 

For which lessons I am eternally grateful. 

When I read a statement like "wake me up before you go go is crap but the bassline is great" in a discussion forum I assume a) that they intended it as statement of their opinion and b) that they assumed that no-one would read it a statement of fact, because it's a discussion forum. And that's OK with me.

If they made the same statement in Wham's Wikipedia page then it would not be OK with me.

And lastly, I assume that if someone uses the word 'pants' in a thread title then it's meant to be fun.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Nail Soup said:

When I read a statement like "wake me up before you go go is crap but the bassline is great" in a discussion forum I assume a) that they intended it as statement of their opinion and b) that they assumed that no-one would read it a statement of fact, because it's a discussion forum. And that's OK with me.

If they made the same statement in Wham's Wikipedia page then it would not be OK with me.

And lastly, I assume that if someone uses the word 'pants' in a thread title then it's meant to be fun.

The world could do with a few more like you. The amount of times people seem incapable of detecting the nuances of written conversations can be extremely vexing. Especially when their other contributions reveal them to be capable and intelligent people. 

It's almost as if they choose to interpret the demonstrably flippant as a serious factual statement. 

• Like 2