Why become a member? ×

What size amp head????

Sk1

Hey so I've got an 800 watt cab with 2 15s in it that's 4ohms. I'm thinking about getting a 1200 watt cab that 4 10s to pair with. What size amp head do you think I should need??? This sounds like a really bad math problem lol.

16 minutes ago, Sk1 said:

Hey so I've got an 800 watt cab with 2 15s in it that's 4ohms. I'm thinking about getting a 1200 watt cab that 4 10s to pair with. What size amp head do you think I should need??? This sounds like a really bad math problem lol.

Probably one thats about the size of the Empire State building with those cabs. But check the impedance will go down to 2 ohms if one cab is already 4 ohms - that will limit your choice a bit... 

I went from 500 watts to 800 watts. I play at the same volume but the amp works half as hard and IMO sounds better as a result. The 1200 watt amps that I've seen seem to bring extra clarity and a fuller tone. Plus 2 or even 2.67 ohms is very flexible.

The loudest I've ever been was when I used 2 daisy-chained TH500's into a 212 and 2 112's. That was during the sound check. For the gig I had to turn both amps down to 9 o'clock. So really big amps aren't always the answer.

I'm guessing you're fairly new to bass amplification? Sorry if that's not the case.

a 2x15 is already a bigger cab than most of us currently use, it sounds like something from the 1970's, nothing wrong with that and a lot of older gear sounds great for not much money. A 4x10 alone is also a big cab by todays standards. Both will probably be louder on their own than you strictly need for any gig.

Basically all you need to do is be able to produce the sound you like loud enough to match the drums for volume. Given most drummers that's already extremely loud. Any louder and you'll have to put both bass and drums through the PA. You may decide to run these two together just for the hell of it but unless you want to be antisocial to the rest of your band you'll need to turn down if you do.

The other thing is mentioned above, you can't really successfully mix two cabs of different impedances. If your 4x10 is an 8ohm cab then it needs to be paired with another 8 (not your 4ohm cab )so the amp sees 4ohms and the power is shared evenly. If your 4x10 is 4 ohms (less likely) it will match the 2x15 but the amp will 'see' 2 ohms. Not all amps can manage the current needed for that and will shut down or maybe even mis-function.

TBH save your money. Play the 2x15 with pretty much any bass amp and it'll be loud enough. Most bass amps are in the 3-500W range nowadays and that is pretty much enough for anything. My first rig was a 2x15Peavey with a 200W amp and it was more than loud enough so a modern 3-500W amp is going to be plenty too. If you hear the 4x10 and prefer it that's great too but choose it because it sounds good not because you want to be louder.

I guess I should've  specified that I have an 800 watt subway d800 amp head that can do either 4 or 2 ohms so adding the other cab isnt  a problem there but not sure if it'll be able to handle the other 1200 watts???

It will be fine if adding another 4ohm cab in, the cabs will each take half of the power, the only problems will be your back and suspension I suspect, plus finding a venue with a stage big enough (but I`ll bet it will sound great).

2 hours ago, Sk1 said:

I guess I should've  specified that I have an 800 watt subway d800 amp head that can do either 4 or 2 ohms so adding the other cab isnt  a problem there but not sure if it'll be able to handle the other 1200 watts???

Don't worry about the cab power rating in this situation, if you're thinking about running two cabs, you can't 'underpower' a cab. You can put a 50w amp with a 1200w rated cab for instance. With that amp though I think you'll have plenty of oomph for the cabs. 

Always check your impedance though as that will cause you problems (fry your amp) if there's a mismatch and your cabs show a load lower than your amps cabability. 

As above, you may have a diffrrence in power to each cab depending on your choice of cab impedance. Something to be aware of. 

5 hours ago, Sk1 said:

Sorry, I misread your post.