Why become a member? ×

Fender Gold Bass Lead

Twigman

After the band reformed I found all my 1/4" jack leads were knackered.
I thought it must be the bass and rewired the whole thing but it turned out to be the leads I was using!!
So I went and bought a 12 foot Fender gold Bass lead.

Yes I thought it was expensive and it came in a huge cardboard 'presentation case' - No wonder it's so damned expensive they must get through some rainforests packaging this mutha....anyway after unpacking it and leaving all the packaging in the shop for them to deal with a couple of things struck me:

1) - this doesn't look or feel like a guitar lead - it's more like the mains flex on my Hotpoint Iron!! It's got a woven fabric sleeve and is really 'chunky'. - VERY COOL IMO

2) - It has a novel velcro strip to hold it all together when looped - good idea this.

It has a nice L shaped jack on one end and a really chunky and shiny jack on the other.......

Anyway went to the next rehearsal and the rest of the band start asking me if I've changed the pick up or strings or what!!!

I never believed changing a lead could make a bass sound so different!
It gives a very nice rounded tone and seems to get the lo-mids through better and made my bass sound with more punch. I play mostly with my fingers but sometimes with a plectrum and the lead seems to have added a clarity to both methods of playing which I never thought possible from merely changing the lead!!!

Conculsion: it may seem expensive but it will sound better than your average guitar lead!!!

Edited by Twigman

[quote name='Twigman' post='429491' date='Mar 9 2009, 03:59 PM']After the band reformed I found all my 1/4" jack leads were knackered.
I thought it must be the bass and rewired the whole thing but it turned out to be the leads I was using!!
So I went and bought a 12 foot Fender gold Bass lead.

Yes I thought it was expensive and it came in a huge cardboard 'presentation case' - No wonder it's so damned expensive they must get through some rainforests packaging this mutha....anyway after unpacking it and leaving all the packaging in the shop for them to deal with a couple of things struck me:

1) - this doesn't look or feel like a guitar lead - it's more like the mains flex on my Hotpoint Iron!! It's got a woven fabric sleeve and is really 'chunky'. - VERY COOL IMO

2) - It has a novel velcro strip to hold it all together when looped - good idea this.

It has a nice L shaped jack on one end and a really chunky and shiny jack on the other.......

Anyway went to the next rehearsal and the rest of the band start asking me if I've changed the pick up or strings or what!!!

I never believed changing a lead could make a bass sound so different!
It gives a very nice rounded tone and seems to get the lo-mids through better and made my bass sound with more punch. I play mostly with my fingers but sometimes with a plectrum and the lead seems to have added a clarity to both methods of playing which I never thought possible from merely changing the lead!!!

Conculsion: it may seem expensive but it will sound better than your average guitar lead!!![/quote]

they are great leads...altho,the first two i got were faulty and had to be replaced! haha

I've been using the platinum model of these leads for the last couple of years. Excellent product & it really does make a difference. Also, it's supremely high quality. Not a fray or any wear or tear in sight & mine must have done 100+ gigs so far.

I'm thinking of trying one of the similarly priced competitors soon as well.

• 1 month later...

Having now gigged with this lead can I add that it is easily caught up in my right foot and it was really annoying that I kept having to sweep it away..it seemed to want to tie me in knots.....I think it's because it is so thick...it really won't do as it is told.