Why become a member? ×

Hello Brothers and Sisters

revd.tony

Hello,

God Bless. I am a Christian Minister, currently on the Christian Missions where I evangelise the Gospel, here in ireland. 

I used to play, but traded it for a lif with God and to Christian service. Currently, in ill health, I am seeking to do some things I used to do, before I get 'promoted' as they say. So I am hoping to have a little pleasure, playing a little bass again. I am an admirer of such players as Doug Pinnick, Kip Winger, Michael Anthony, Bob Daisley and David Ellefson. 

I have absoloutely, no gear, none at all, that's why I am joining here I guess. I am seeking to assemble a micro rig, something small and cheap, just to enjoy while I can. Something small so it can be shipped to Ireland cheaply. also, a cheap bass, but no nasties please, again, something that has a hard case and can be shipped to Ireland.

Thinking of a preamp and a power amp etc. etc. - something for headphones, as I acn't afford cab shipping sadly. We Missionaries have a 'poverty' issue going, so cheap is the key, but please, no desperate offloads, this is my last wee bit of joy, so I would like basic but not basement. I will consider anything, thanks.

I hope this finds you all very well, and remember, every day is a gift.

Thanks, Revd. Tony.

Edited by revd.tony
  • Like 1

Welcome Tony.

You might find that you don't actually need a head and cab or a combo amp if you are only practising with headphones.  There are many devices available for headphone practise.

I use a Zoom B3 effects pedal which has a range of well known simulated effects and amp/speaker combos, a drum module with instant selection of a good variety of decent sounding rhythms a looper and a tuner with Mute function.  While it is intended for use inline with an amp for performance it has features that are very useful whether you are at home or gigging.  My amp is in an unheated room at the back of the house so during Winter I like to practise in the sitting room with the B3 and 'phones.

It has been superseded by the B3n so the B3 is quite affordable on the second hand market (see Effects for Sale).  That's just one option but all effects pedals of this sort are easier to ship than even a modest combo.

Good hunting

Edited by SpondonBassed

Welcome to the forum Tony.

Whereabouts in Ireland are you?  I'm in Belfast and I think used gear is cheaper here than in ROI.  I don't have any gear I want to sell but I'm going to suggest buying locally on gumtree or facebook.  Adverts.ie is another sales site.

Some useful facebook groups:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/bassplayersni

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Bassistirelandclassifieds

https://www.facebook.com/groups/737668392933774

I'm sure there are many more.

I hope you get sorted quickly.

Frank.