Why become a member? ×

Suprises inside second hand amps

Clockworkwar

Well I just bought a nice Trace Elliot cab from Stevie, I got it out the packaging and put it on its side and heard a rattle. I immediately thought DHL had been throwing it around for sports. Until I got a small torch inside the cab and realised it was a 5p, luckily my hands are small enough to fit in the port holes and I got it out.

Has anyone else has this before?

[quote name='Clockworkwar' post='429404' date='Mar 9 2009, 02:33 PM']Well I just bought a nice Trace Elliot cab from Stevie, I got it out the packaging and put it on its side and heard a rattle. I immediately thought DHL had been throwing it around for sports. Until I got a small torch inside the cab and realised it was a 5p, luckily my hands are small enough to fit in the port holes and I got it out.

Has anyone else has this before?[/quote]

That's the tone coin that you often get with TE cabs. I hope you put it back in there.

S.P.

Edited by Stylon Pilson

[quote name='Clockworkwar' post='429404' date='Mar 9 2009, 02:33 PM']Well I just bought a nice Trace Elliot cab from Stevie, I got it out the packaging and put it on its side and heard a rattle. I immediately thought DHL had been throwing it around for sports. Until I got a small torch inside the cab and realised it was a 5p, luckily my hands are small enough to fit in the port holes and I got it out.

So, when can I get my 5p back?

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='429627' date='Mar 9 2009, 06:27 PM']When I had a Trace Elliot 715SM combo I noticed a rattling sound when I took it to rehearsal once and found my son had hidden five or six of his hot wheels cars in it. He must have been running the track into the port and letting the cars roll in.[/quote]

Beats the 5p he he.

[quote name='Clockworkwar' post='429594' date='Mar 9 2009, 05:58 PM']I was almost ready to believe you until the coin reads '2001' and the cab is from way before then :)[/quote]
That'll be the 2001 upgrade he's had fitted. I hope you paid extra for that. I was thinking of getting that done on mine but couldn't justify the expense. Some people insist you can't hear the difference.

I bought a guitar combo for my son from ebay and went to collect it. When the father of the seller handed it to me I noticed that there was a full size pc keyboard sticking out of the open back. He had seen it, though tought it was all part of the combo! When I got home I fould a pencil in there

[quote name='Platypus' post='429963' date='Mar 9 2009, 11:10 PM']I bought a guitar combo for my son from ebay and went to collect it. When the father of the seller handed it to me I noticed that there was a full size pc keyboard sticking out of the open back. He had seen it, though tought it was all part of the combo! When I got home I fould a pencil in there[/quote]

You are clearly winning.

I bought a cab once, heard a bit of a rattle and when I opened it up I found Glenn Miller & Shergar in there.

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' post='429949' date='Mar 9 2009, 11:01 PM']That'll be the 2001 upgrade he's had fitted. I hope you paid extra for that. I was thinking of getting that done on mine but couldn't justify the expense. Some people insist you can't hear the difference.[/quote]
It's also important to make sure the 5p coin is shiny.

I once bought a combo and it felt too heavy, so I opened it up and found another combo in there.

But the combo that was inside felt a bit too heavy, so I opened it up and found an even smaller combo in there.

But that one felt too heavy too. I opened it up, and found an even smaller combo in there.

But that one felt too heavy too. I opened it up, and found an even smaller combo in there.

But that one felt too heavy too. I opened it up, but found nothing out of the ordinary. Which was weird.

S.P.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='430494' date='Mar 10 2009, 02:02 PM']Yeh, well I opened up one of my cabs and found that Fs = 1/(2*pi*sqrt(Cms*Mms)).

Which certainly came as a surprise to me.[/quote]

I actually giggled at this. You know you're a geek when mathematical equations make you laugh. :)

Well in the old old old days, house owners placed coins and button within the window frames of their cottages for good luck and keeping out bad spirits. Can't actually say if 5p would do the trick on a TE cab though.

Never found anything in an amp,...never looked, but I bought a large pair of JBL Stereo speakers many years ago, and after some clown kicked a cone on one of the drivers, I had to replace it, and on removing the old driver, I found four 1 ounce bags of "primo" bud.....excellent. !! :rolleyes:
How could the original owner forget that. ?? :)