Why become a member? ×

Eminance EUB bridge position

MrTea

This feels wrong ... I've been trying to set up my Eminance to get the intonation correct agasint the markers ...

Everything I've ever been told or read suggests setting the bridge by the markers in the f holes. However my Eminance has the markers on the neck to guide intonation and if I set it using the usual method then by the time I'm up around the middle of the neck the pitch is out against these markers. 

I also noticed the sound post looks further back than I'd expect. I guess it could have slipped at some point but shouldn't that match the feet of the bridge? 

Any thoughts from other Eminance users?

IMG_20200524_203739.jpg

The centre of the bridge should be between the two f hole marks.

If there’s a line on the top it’s likely that you should place the bridge on top of it.

Compare your bridge to this one and you’ll see the issue. The bridge should sit flush against the top of the bass and be between the f holes. This should sort out the sound post issue too.

B31A7381-D5B6-42BE-9F1A-81C2516D2286.jpeg

Edited by Burns-bass

Possibly!

All instruments are quirky - and the Eminence especially! I had one andI found the bridge did slip forward at times.

You can also measure the string distance between the bridge and the nut of 105cm (Eminence site) to see what’s happening.

This may not be a particularly helpful commment, but It’s probably a good idea not to get used to using markers as by looking at them you’ll be distorting your natural body and hand shape.

6 minutes ago, MrTea said:

Thanks - and yup, I don't want to rely on those markers but as they're there I'd like it to be close if it can. 

Totally!

Im sure you’ll get better and more complete answers from the DB experts here. 

My understanding is that the bridge must be level with the f-hole marks, but that's not the end of it. What seems to make a big difference to intonation and playability is the angle of the bridge with respect to the body. Luthier Gary Edwards, who created the instrument, recommends the following. The shape of the bridge is such that it's fully in contact with the body when it (the bridge) leans slightly towards the endpin.

Bridge Placement:

The most important thing to remember when setting up your Eminence Bass is to make sure the bridge is not tipping forward.

Push the top of the bridge back towards the endpin with your thumb, centered at the top of the bridge. When viewed from the side, the bridge should look like it’s tipping backwards toward the endpin.

In other words, the bridge must not be straight.

This is the reference web page in its entirety.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MrTea said:

Reset the bridge again this morning and now everything seems fine. No idea what's different but it seems to have remedied my problem. Thanks for the help. 

In my experience it’s best not to ask questions when everything seems to be going ok (in basses as in life!)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1