Why become a member? ×

i need help..Peavey or Trace elliot??

jimijimmi

ive been told i cant take my ampeg and 8x10 cab on our european tour in may and june...due to the guitarists downsizing..they said i have to also..???.. :-(

so,peavey/trace elliot said i can take anything from them..i dont know much about either...

ideally i want a 6x10 as the concerts are around 700-1000 capacity venues...and i dont use monitors,i use ACS ear-plugs with filters (as i dont want to go def)so i stand,often lean,against my rig...
niether do a 6x10..so im gona ask for 4x10 and a 2x10...but im not sure what spec head to take?
or could i use the ampeg through those speakers?

any suggestions??

Look here [url="http://www.trace-elliot.co.uk/"]http://www.trace-elliot.co.uk/[/url]
They've got a good range of cabs these days, better than when I bought their stuff. Their heads have changed too, 2 x 600W in the 12 band range or a straight 600W in the 7 band.

Cheers

Pete

[quote name='Clockworkwar' post='429600' date='Mar 9 2009, 06:01 PM']Just tell them in traditional fashion to 'f-off'[/quote]

haha,i did try that...didnt go down to well at all..

im thinkin,i may just take a line6 pod and use my in-ear set up..that way i wont need an amp!

I like where you're going with your last comment (Line 6 to Desk with in-ears)

All i take out with me is a decent preamp. Then you can run a really quality signal to desk and rely on floor wedges/in-ears for your own sound.

Line6 pods are cool (and both our guitarists just run through them, with no stage amps at all) but for live bass sound I'd still go for a dedicated bass preamp. You can always put the Pod into the loop to act as a headphone amplifier if you can't find a preamp with suitable outputs for your in-ears.

I've used this setup with PA's up to 120kw and it works just fine. to be honest, even with an 8x10 grinding away behind you it becomes inaudible (or a bad distraction from balanced sound) when the floor wedges pass 3kw.

I'd love to see your guitarists faces when you downscale from 8x10 to something you can carry in a rucksack!! (although the danger is that they'll never let you go back to using your old rig)

Good luck!

Firstly may I say, a European tour that's paying the bills [i]and[/i] you're getting free gear to use on it? Sounds awful. I'd far rather stay stuck here in this godforsaken grey office having the life slowly sucked out of me by the day to day grind :)

Secondly, and back OT... the in-ear route sounds like a good idea. Having said that, there's always the "what if it goes wrong" problem. If you really can take Trace stuff for now't, I reckon the AH600-12 head and the 1015H (1x15+2x10) cab would make a good pairing. The amp and cab seem to be well matched.

Good luck!

cheers lads..

im looking towards the in-ear set up...just to see the faces of the guitarists more than anything! haha...but ill be honest i dont really understand the set up of it..would i go,guitar-pod-desk..then take a signal to my in ear reciever from the desk and have the full band mix in there...?...........

but what would you think about the AH1200-12head with 1028h (2x10) and 1048h (4x10) cabs? only i dont like 1x15s.....

or is the head you suggested the better option?

it is a bass pod BTW

Edited by jimijimmi

The AH1200 head is designed around two 600 watt output stages (the AH600 has one, obviously). Each stage is designed to work most efficiently with a load of 4 ohms, but the Trace cabs you're after are 8 ohms each. So with the two cabs, the AH1200 head will give you virtually no advantage over the AH600 head.
I'd stick with the AH600 to be honest.

[quote name='Rich' post='431609' date='Mar 11 2009, 04:04 PM']The AH1200 head is designed around two 600 watt output stages (the AH600 has one, obviously). Each stage is designed to work most efficiently with a load of 4 ohms, but the Trace cabs you're after are 8 ohms each. So with the two cabs, the AH1200 head will give you virtually no advantage over the AH600 head.
I'd stick with the AH600 to be honest.[/quote]

cheers for the advice dude...ill go for the AH600 then

[quote name='Clockworkwar' post='431607' date='Mar 11 2009, 04:02 PM']If you are being offered free stuff take it.[/quote]

the only thing with taking free gear is im obviously obliged to use it...even if its sh*t..haha...and where the hell do i store another amP!?

You can store your Ampeg at my house, problem solved!!

The gear you've picked out sounds like a pretty good shout to me. If you were already used to in-ears and no backline, I'd say take that, but I wouldn't want to take the chance of swanning off round Europe and then realising I [i]really[/i] missed having an amp behind me!

Has anybody ever tried the big uber-powerful Peavey stuff that gets advertised in the american bass mags? Never seen any of it over here, can't help but wonder what that's like.

Good luck on the tour, hope it goes well, whatever you end up taking!!

Mike