Why become a member? ×

Bass Headphone Amp

RnRDave

1 hour ago, PaulThePlug said:

Went for a 'Donner Basement' 'Vox-a-like' jack plug hesdphone amp.

USB recharge rather than AAA... Blurb says a bit of Ampeg SVT drive...

£17 posted from Amazon... Vox are about double that plus postage...

New Vox has Drum Box, prefer the idea of a little drive like the older model.

Fingers crossed - which does make playing little harder...

Yeah I'm curious too. Was gonna get one of these but they weren't in stock anywhere when I came to order one. 

The session cake is working well for me at home so far. 

1 hour ago, shoulderpet said:

Let us know how it is, I would love to find a replacement for my Amplug which is imo complete crap

I agree the build quality seems crap, but I have found mine to be very useful.
Seeing that there are so many copies on the market, surely somebody, somewhere can do a knock off and make it high quality? Metal body, good quality electronics, USB recharge etcs.
If I had the time, inclination, and a bit of money I'd do it myself!

Be interested to hear what you think of the Donner one.

Eude

1 hour ago, eude said:

I agree the build quality seems crap, but I have found mine to be very useful.
Seeing that there are so many copies on the market, surely somebody, somewhere can do a knock off and make it high quality? Metal body, good quality electronics, USB recharge etcs.
If I had the time, inclination, and a bit of money I'd do it myself!

Be interested to hear what you think of the Donner one.

Eude

Yeah it's the tone to me, Amplug sounds awful, noisy, mine is temperamental, really it should be a £20 device not £30-£35

1 hour ago, shoulderpet said:

Yeah it's the tone to me, Amplug sounds awful, noisy, mine is temperamental, really it should be a £20 device not £30-£35

Agree. Amplug's are utter rubbish. I've not tried the very high end stuff, but any sub £100 headphone simulators and such I'd stay well away from. A waste of money.

It Arrived, and it works.

Nice fit in the Ibby socket... Vol is loud enough with some cheapish over ear Sony cans (they aint that loud with my Sony mp3...) bit hissy at full V, back it of a little and its OK. Tone is bright and gets brighter... Turned down is best then use your guitars tone adjust... so perhaps that can come out...Drive, not a great deal... but spose you wouldnt be looking for Geetar Distortion?

Gets quite a bit more driven when the GSR Phat II is upped... So level of drive i spose is down to your pickups and how hard they can hit the front end...

Dunno how it compares to the Vox, but for £17 deivered, it certainly 'does the do' for a bit of practice. rechargable too... Auto Wah is a bit of a gimmick, shame it wasnt something real useful. Compressor or a nice bit of soft Chorus?

Plug is fixed so may be a bit more robust.

I would still love a simple effects pedal styled headphone amp, 9v with Vol, maybe tone (maybe not with the above) some drive would be nice...

Perhaps i should of gone for the Electro Harminox Headphone Amp @ £45ish

If i were still working in the electronics lab... there is a circuit for the old MXR headphone amp on the internet....

Edited by PaulThePlug

12 minutes ago, PaulThePlug said:

It Arrived, and it works.

Nice fit in the Ibby socket... Vol is loud enough with some cheapish over ear Sony cans (they aint that loud with my Sony mp3...) bit hissy at full V, backmit of a little and its OK. Tone is bright and gets brighter... but you can hear the change in your guitars tone adjust... so perhaps that can come out, Drive, not a great deal... but spose you wouldnt be looking for Geetar Distortion?

Gets quite a bit more driven when the GSR Phat II is upped... So level of drive i spose is down to your pickups and how hard they can hit the front end...

Dunno how it compares to the Vox, but for £17 deivered, it certainly 'does the do' for a bit of practice. rechargable too... Auto Wah is a bit of a gimmick, shame it wasnt something real useful. Compressor or a nice bit of soft Chorus?

Plug is fixed so may be a bit more robust.

I would still love a simple effects pedal styled headphone amp, 9v with Vol, maybe tone (maybe not with the above) some drive would be nice...

Perhaps i should of gone for the Electro Harminox Headphone Amp @ £45ish

Have you tried a cable from your bass to a pedal and then the headphone amp plug goes in the output of the effect pedal, thats what i do with my Amplug and it works

I've just had an Ashdown TonePocket arrive and after a few minutes of noodling, I am very impressed!

Ashdown Tonepocket - wzmacniacz słuchawkowy/interfejs dla basistów ...Has everything I need (simple EQ, aux in,) plus can be used as a DAW interface which I am hoping to experiment with over the weekend.

Rechargeable so I don't have to be tethered to the wall, which is quite nice if I want to sit out in the garden and noodle.

Only 'gripe' is that I had to buy an adaptor for the headphones, but that is really minor for me.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, BruceBass3901 said:

I've just had an Ashdown TonePocket arrive and after a few minutes of noodling, I am very impressed!

Ashdown Tonepocket - wzmacniacz słuchawkowy/interfejs dla basistów ...Has everything I need (simple EQ, aux in,) plus can be used as a DAW interface which I am hoping to experiment with over the weekend.

Rechargeable so I don't have to be tethered to the wall, which is quite nice if I want to sit out in the garden and noodle.

Only 'gripe' is that I had to buy an adaptor for the headphones, but that is really minor for me.

Now we're talking. Not in stock yet in the U.S., so will have to wait for a bit.

If I would ever put it in a recording chain, one thing I won't use is the USB interface. I'll stick with the Line Out to my existing audio interface. 96KHz/24-bit vs 48KHz/16-bit for the Tone Pocket.

And this bullet point from Ashdown's website is concerning:

- Compatible with Win98 SE / Win ME / Win 2000 / Win XP and Mac OS9 / OS X without Additional Driver

For a brand new device, look at the supported OS's "without Additional Driver". There's a rabbit hole I don't want to go down.

I just tried a bit of quick and dirty recording (bearing in mind that I have absolutely zero experience of home recording) and it was very straightforward on my Windows 10 laptop. Plugged everything in, opened up Audacity and tweaked a few levels about, and off to the races I went!

Probably not the highest quality available, but for what I paid, and the ease of process, I'm very happy with it.

Regardless of the recording capabilities, I still think it is a stonking little headphone amp.

• Like 3