Why become a member? ×

Bass Headphone Amp

RnRDave

2 hours ago, Dam1903 said:

I have the vox headphone amp, I honestly think it's crap and use my zoom, I can't get the volume I'm looking for with the vox. 

Volume? What bass do you use? Mine has plenty of volume with a passive MIM Precision

16 minutes ago, Iacopo San said:

Volume? What bass do you use? Mine has plenty of volume with a passive MIM Precision

A different question might be: what headphones are you using? What number of ohms. The VOX headphone amp is almost certainly designed for 32-60 ohm headphones. If I were to plug my 250 ohm Beyerdynamics into one, I'd get very low volume as well. That's why I bought a second, less expensive pair of cans.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TheMaartian said:

A different question might be: what headphones are you using? What number of ohms. The VOX headphone amp is almost certainly designed for 32-60 ohm headphones. If I were to plug my 250 ohm Beyerdynamics into one, I'd get very low volume as well. That's why I bought a second, less expensive pair of cans.

I'm using Phil Jones cans at the moment which are 32ohm

Another vote for the Vox AmPlug here.
I've had one for several years now, and as much as I was worried it wouldn't last given the build quality, it has been amazing!
I actually quite like the way it sounds too, I believe it amp sims a classic Vox bass amp, whatever that is.

@Dam1903 I've not had any issues with volume, but you can change input pad by pressing the power button for a moment when it's on, too long as you'll turn it off though ;) I use this when I'm going between active and passive basses. Sorry if you've already tried that.

Good over the ear headphones make a huge difference too, in ear headphones are pants for this kind of thing.
I had some decent Audiotechnica ones that I use for a while but I'm not using my Meters OV-1-Bs and the sound is incredible!

I do wish Vox would come out with a higher end version of this, or that someone else would as I would buy one in a heart beat. I know you can get better headphone amps, the Phil Jones thing and Ashdown do a lovely one now too, but the fact you can plug this straight into your instrument without any cables is liberating.

Eude

• Like 1

20 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

If you can stretch to £69 the Zoom B1-Four is a much nicer unit. Easier to use and has proper knobs for EQ and volume. The B1-on is great though. 

These are my Zoom boxes (and recorder). 

All budget stuff that works really well for home use, and I’m sure live as well. 

Yes, the B1-4 is a marvelous little thing. Once you program up some patches (very easy) it sounds great.

• Like 1

in my experience/opinion the Amplug is junk, has a flimsy jack that breaks (mine actually snapped off) , its noisy, and imo it sounds like donkey, it seems to roll off a fair amount of treble detail and im no audio expert but I would guess that it starts to roll off from about 2k and higher, seemed to make every bass i played sound like one of those dreadful low end 1970s basses (think Kay or similar) that are reviled nowadays

1 hour ago, shoulderpet said:

in my experience/opinion the Amplug is junk, has a flimsy jack that breaks (mine actually snapped off) , its noisy, and imo it sounds like donkey, it seems to roll off a fair amount of treble detail and im no audio expert but I would guess that it starts to roll off from about 2k and higher, seemed to make every bass i played sound like one of those dreadful low end 1970s basses (think Kay or similar) that are reviled nowadays

I think these must vary wildly. Quality Control on these cheap plastic things is never particularly consistent.

The build quality I would agree with, but mine has held up fine for a good 6 years or so now.

The sound on mine is great though, loads of treble on tap too, too much, I tend to run the time at 50%.

They must be very changeable...

Eude

3 minutes ago, Iacopo San said:

Agree. My Vox Amplug is also doing fine after weekly use for 6 years. And I do love the sound. For £30 you really can't fault it.

Mine too. I use the ‘clean guitar’ Headphone amp, as I use it for guitar too, but the fender Bassman preset is great middle ground. It does need turning up a bit (depending on which headphones I’m using), but it’s great for the money.

I’ve got a Vox amplug and a Zoom b1n. The zoom sounds better and has the effects,  the vox is great in that you can plug it in and walk round your house/garden playing, also has a line in so you can connect your phone and play along to music. If I’m going away anywhere and want to practice I take the vox. The main negative for me is there is quite a lot of hiss. I’d happily pay 2-3x the asking price for the vox if they put in better quality less noisy amplifiers

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, 41Hz said:

I’ve got a Vox amplug and a Zoom b1n. The zoom sounds better and has the effects,  the vox is great in that you can plug it in and walk round your house/garden playing, also has a line in so you can connect your phone and play along to music. If I’m going away anywhere and want to practice I take the vox. The main negative for me is there is quite a lot of hiss. I’d happily pay 2-3x the asking price for the vox if they put in better quality less noisy amplifiers

Absolutely, if they built it to he bomb proof with better sound quality, surely they'd be on to a winner even at a higher price point?

Eude

Is the Bass version that different for Freq Range Than the Guitar versions?

Not fussed on the Drum n Metranome... Bass version would of been nice with an effect, simple Chorus?

Old version had gain, distortion.

Reviews of the Electro Harminox sugestvits a little sterile....

Any one know of the CALINE S2B Scuru Bass Headphone Amp?

https://kytary.co.uk/caline-s2b-scuru-bass-headphone-amp/HN203840/?gclid=CjwKCAjwztL2BRATEiwAvnALcuz4kCKhA18Ezsy-rjXrohL7LplHkqeqbReMWe8DaS-EhmaoO2yWLhoC8MMQAvD_BwE

Missed out on the Yam Soundcake from Kennys.... derrière!

Fed up messing with Amp power leads, Headphone extender faff for a 'half hour go' before the wife, kids or dog kick in again... and i have to put it all back tidy..

Gotta be cheap... Kids will need shoes IF they go back to school 😉

Vox looks fragile, EHX looks substantial but read its bland, caline?

Prefer the idea of a short lead to unit rather than the Vox's plug...

Chime in please...

Edited by PaulThePlug

4 minutes ago, PaulThePlug said:

Vox looks fragile, EHX looks substantial but read its bland, caline?

Chime in please...

the Vox feels cheap and plasticky, but I never had a problem with it, and it fell a few times.

For £30 I think you can give it a go, worst thing you can chuck it in your gigbag and it can always be handy if you want to play when you are out.

• Like 1

I use the zoom b2.1 - runs on batteries and works for live too. Has a headphone out and some basic drum patterns and it’s built Tough enough to survive a nuclear holocaust 

Edited by Geek99

On 24/05/2020 at 16:14, RnRDave said:

Been looking at something to do some quiet practice with at home and seen a couple of Bass Headphone Amps. Mainly the VOX and Blackstar ones. The VOX one is about £30 and looks pretty good for what I need it for. 

Before I pull the trigger, has anyone got any experience with these? And are there any other options I'm over looking? Don't want to pay more than £50 really. 

Cheers. 

81fGGWCTPBL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I have had two of these., they sound fine but are not robust the first one the the switchesand headphone socket stopped working, the second the jack broke away from the body. So whilst i liked their sound I wouldn't recommend them. I went for a Phil Jones Bass Big Head which is I can highly recommend. well engineered great simple EQ and doubles as an audio interface though I haven't used it in that way yet.

2 hours ago, jazzyvee said:

I have had two of these., they sound fine but are not robust the first one the the switchesand headphone socket stopped working, the second the jack broke away from the body. So whilst i liked their sound I wouldn't recommend them. I went for a Phil Jones Bass Big Head which is I can highly recommend. well engineered great simple EQ and doubles as an audio interface though I haven't used it in that way yet.

Looks nice, but...$249?

My Rumble 40 combo only cost $200, and it's got an AUX In, a headphone out, and an XLR DI out. And it weighs only 18 lbs. OK, so it needs AC power. Nothing's perfect! 😋

Also, if you turn both OD controls (DRIVE and LEVEL) off (fully CCW) and connect a footswitch, you have a handy dandy MUTE function.

Went for a 'Donner Basement' 'Vox-a-like' jack plug hesdphone amp.

USB recharge rather than AAA... Blurb says a bit of Ampeg SVT drive...

£17 posted from Amazon... Vox are about double that plus postage...

New Vox has Drum Box, prefer the idea of a little drive like the older model.

Fingers crossed - which does make playing little harder...

Edited by PaulThePlug

44 minutes ago, PaulThePlug said:

Went for a 'Donner Basement' 'Vox-a-like' jack plug hesdphone amp.

USB recharge rather than AAA... Blurb says a bit of Ampeg SVT drive...

£17 posted from Amazon... Vox are about double that plus postage...

New Vox has Drum Box, prefer the idea of a little drive like the older model.

Fingers crossed - which does make playing little harder...

Let us know how it is, I would love to find a replacement for my Amplug which is imo complete crap