Why become a member? ×

Scott's Player's Path

lownote

Looks interesting for a beginning player. I bought the beginner pack on talkingbass and have also been following the studybass lessons. I like the way studybass gives example songs for each of the concepts, like roofs or octaves.  Makes building up a repertoire easy.

Does players path do something similar? If so I might sign up ...

So he's doing joined up lessons so students know where they are?

Kind of beggars the question, what's he been getting away with doing up until now? 

I very nearly signed up for the free trial once, but before I actually started it, I made the mistake of watching several of his YouTube videos and decided I couldn't stand another minute of his inane waffle and constant pointless jazz noodling. 

If it works for you then great. But it's definitely not for me. 

10 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

So he's doing joined up lessons so students know where they are?

That isn't what player's path does. This gives particular pieces to learn, practice and work through, in a similar fashion to the grading system used for many instruments, particularly in schools. There are then particular courses and lessons which are attributed to to certain pieces based on the techniques required, the theory at the foundation of the piece, etc.

Totally get that Scott''s style isn't for everybody, I find him a bit waffley sometimes, but I learn and like having the resources.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 24/05/2020 at 18:25, Barking Spiders said:

I find Scott an affable bloke and easy to watch. I like his chatty approach and find he's good at explaining techniques etc. But not being a pro I'm not bothered about a bass education as such. At 50 I know what I like and like what I know. I primarily like playing slap and fingerstyle funk bass with a lump or two of reggae and disco thrown in.  So I won't be shelling out any moolah on Player's Path.  It's probably a good idea for younger newbies and intermediates wanting to go pro but for old lags I'd say hold onto your dosh. After checking out many online bass teachers, for my money Mark Smith's Talking Bass is the best for me, esp for his slap lessons. Don't get me wrong, there are some very good guys from the US and other countries but I connect more easily with Mark's Leeds accent and his explanations are crisp and easy to follow.

I really like Bass Buzz, like here the explanation and practical applications for free are really, really awesome..  interesting banana!

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

Really pleased to see that Scott gets a lot of positive reviews, as well as Mark at Talking Bass. Is it something in the water in Leeds!? I've been considering both their lesson programmes. The SBL Player's Path does have a certain appeal, though when you click the payment link, it does revert to the full price without discount which is confusing. Maybe the offer is out of step with the promo video? 

I do agree with comments about the number of emails. I've worked in marketing and whoever is in charge of their mailchimp has gone crazy. It won't be cheap, but aggressive marketing clearly works for them. It's got me hooked anyway, might try the 14 day free trial!!! 😊

I keep meaning to give the Players Path ago - I'm an SBL lifer so dip in and out when I feel like it.   

Though from the previous posts the price seems to have shot up massively - it was around the same as renewing for a second year's membership when I upgraded so it made sense to take it out, not sure I would for $500.

Anyway, format of the PP seems very similar to the rockschool or trinity grade systems - 3 study pieces (chosen from 6) that need to be performed to pass a level and move on.  At each level it calls out specific academy courses for you to work through and develop the required skills and knowledge to support the pieces.  Gives a nice bit of structure to the SBL that has been previously lacking.

A few references have been made to other online educators, I have some Talkingbass and Joe Hubbard material which is also excellent but today I discovered Daric Bennet (https://daricbennett.com/).  Like Scott, he seems to come across well on his videos but with a significant reduction in waffle :).