Why become a member? ×

John East MM preamp.

W1_Pro

I just wanted to record for posterity, what a wonderful product the John East MM (3 knob) bass preamp is.  My old Wilkes Stingray has had wobbly, grinding pots for some time. I wrote to Doug and asked him to reccomend a replacement, he suggested the John East pre.  After a rather unfortunate experience with a Glockenklang pre from Thomann ( quite obtuse wiring instructions but excellent customer service), I contacted John who obligingly shipped me an MM pre. I installed it yesterday afternoon - in about ten minutes with no soldering😀...And it works like a dream. Bass sounds miles better. In fact, it sounds better than my actual Stingray, but there you go.  Highly reccomended.

• Like 1

John is a real gent, and a very knowledgeable one. I bought a Jazz Bass de Luxe from someone on this forum back in October/November and though I liked the bass, wasn't very impressed by the pre-amp. Had a word with John, he invited me over (I live about 20 minutes away) and spent an hour or more talking bass while swapping the Fender pre for one of his own. He was less than impressed by the standard of Fender's soldering and re-did it, in case anyone saw it and thought he'd done it!

• Like 1

I had an issue with a a UNI-PRE installation recently; buzzy, buzzy, buzz.  I can install most things without much bother, but will admit once in a while the guts of basses just look like a tangle of wires.  We exchanged emails, photos etc. and he got me sorted.

He is a top, top bloke; we discussed his background (brilliant stuff!)...I've offered to do a piece on him for Basschat, just to put a name to a face.  More people should be embracing his gear.

• Like 3