Why become a member? ×

Strings for Yamaha BB425 / BB424

Guest MoJo

Guest MoJo

I’m currently using Rotosound Swingbass (Stainless Roundwound) on my Yamaha BB425. These sound great on my P-Bass but sound too dark on the Yamaha which is a darker sounding bass to start with. 
Any current or ex-owners of the 425 or 424 that could recommend a roundwound string that suits this bass?

On 23/05/2020 at 22:05, MoJo said:

I’m currently using Rotosound Swingbass (Stainless Roundwound) on my Yamaha BB425. These sound great on my P-Bass but sound too dark on the Yamaha which is a darker sounding bass to start with. 
Any current or ex-owners of the 425 or 424 that could recommend a roundwound string that suits this bass?

A string brighter than Roto steels? I think you might struggle there. I would say either DR Hi Beams or D'Addario ProSteels. 

On 24/05/2020 at 19:05, Delberthot said:

As always, I used D'addario EXL165-5 strings with my 425 and 1025 and it sounded really good. Really good tension, for me at least, on all strings including the B and the right amount of brightness without being too zingy.

Same, for all my basses. I do have XT’s on my Yamahas at the moment. Ok on the P34 but just prefect on my 425. Not sure i will stick with these strings, ive yet to actually gig them, but its funny how the same string works with one bass and is just ok on another. 

On 23/05/2020 at 22:05, MoJo said:

I own a 424 and a P bass and I really wouldn't say the Yamaha is a darker sounding bass. Rotosound is one of the clankiest brightest strings ever! Massively aggressive (I think more high mids than airy treble). I've had flats on the 424 until recently (they got moved to the P) and I've put D'addaro XLs on and they sound fantastic.

If you want very bright,but a nice sweet Treble then DR High Beams are the string.