Why become a member? ×

What kind of bass player are you?

andy67

[quote name='Bassmonster' post='46228' date='Aug 16 2007, 09:21 AM']Been playing bass for about 7 years, style mainly rock, the odd bit of basic slapping and tapping here and there, play pick and fingerstyle...i should be better than i am.[/quote]

no the feelin mate!

I've become a bit of a lazy git - I blame it on the kids myself!

I'm a former lefty drummer, converted to bass after wrist issues at the tender age of 14. :) Started in blues, then jazz/funk and dance covers. In the last few years I've settled in soul/rnb very comfortably. For 12 years I played a Jaydee MK until my career finally took off (thanks to a skills shortage) and then I was lucky enough to dabble in a few other instruments.

Influences started with Adam Clayton and Herbie Flowers. Then I switched to a load of 80's bass gods like Jaco, Stanley Clarke and Mark King. The 90's sucked for me (which is when I played mostly jazz and my influences were Marcus, John Patitucci and other fusion players like Marc Johnson and Jonas Hellborg), then I listened to a load of Meshell N'degeocello, Bernard Edwards, Robbie Shakespeare, Nathan Watts, Norman Watt Roy and other groove players. Its been goin' on since then. Julian Crampton is one of my favourite players right now - he's just taken up the bass chair with Incognito. I was lined up for some lessons with him but he had a nasty habit of going off on tour and could never commit to a date...

What kind of bass player am I ?

Solid, dependable, locked in with the right drummer (not too many of those around) find the groove and nail it.

Priorities being 1. listen & watch the drummers kick drum foot

2. listen to the vocalist

Then work out a complimentary line which includes a driving pulse coupled with a melodic overthought which doesn't fill in the "holes"

If the song is a cover, use the original line and put your own stamp on it without distracting from the initial feel created.

Play what you feel.

Rhino.

Aged 33 and although I first got a bass at 17, I've only really played for about 2 and a half years - two of those between 23 and 25. Picked it back up about 6 months ago.

I like to play Indie/Rock/Alternative. Play 99.9% with a pick, 0.1% is when I've dropped it. Nothing too flash, the odd run if the song can do with it but no more than it needs.

Never had a lesson. Have virtually no music theory and can't improvise very well (working on that).

Like to get into the music and have a good time when I'm playing.

Nearly 40, started playing guitar just around 1987 when everyone else was doing the same. Nobody needed another guitarist so swapped to Bass after a couple of years and haven't looked back (though I still play the "small one" now and again for some ROCK therapy).
I started playing with schoolmates in a rock band, covers mostly but we wrote 3 or 4 original songs and recorded them for a demo. Since then played in a several covers bands, again all sorts of rock mainly and did a bit of singing too.
Now confined to the Bedroom while current band takes a break (all original songs no covers), itching to get out again!

I play fingerstyle using three fingers for speed playing (thank you Billy Sheehan instructional video) can do tapping, slapping, popping, pinched harmonics, chords.. anything that works in the song.
Gear: Fender P (hipshot D tuner - Sheehan again!), brand new MMStingray 5 (lovin it!), Hartke 1155 combo (pretty much flat EQ but lots of valve dialed in)
Philosophy: lock in with the drummer, keep your ear on the melody, make the song as good as it can be.
Influences: Geezer Butler, Cliff Burton, Geddy Lee, Billy Sheehan, Stu Hamm, other musicians!

[rambling hafwit mode: off]
:)

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='46979' date='Aug 17 2007, 09:04 PM']Julian Crampton is one of my favourite players right now - he's just taken up the bass chair with Incognito. I was lined up for some lessons with him but he had a nasty habit of going off on tour and could never commit to a date...[/quote]

Absolutely excellent player, he played with Incognito years ago, his playing on 'Jacobs Ladder' is one of my favourite bass parts.

Me? Playing since 14th birthday (27 now). The first year and a bit was intense, 10 hours a day style, before school, at school, after school, when I should have been sleeping. For the next 10 years there was no real serious practice going on, just playing a bit here and there and wasting my time learning a great slap technique, oh the other things i could have been learning. Until last year when I auditioned to study jazz, since then the serious practice has been going on again, although probably only 4 hours a day or so. It makes me wonder why i ever stopped taking it so seriously as I absolutely love playing and get a lot of happiness out of the fact that i am improving. The practice is in addition to practicing double bass and 8 string guitar. I listen to jazz, study jazz, play jazz, go to jazz gigs...You CAN have too much of a good thing! Sometimes i swear I am going to go into a jazz trance and never return to sanity!

I do appreciate technical playing, widdly stuff, complex harmony and a millions notes a minute, but i am fully aware of what my job is and happy to sit grooving on one note for and hour if it is what is required.

Favourite bassists: Originally Jaco, then Patitucci and the past few years has been Dominique Dipiazza (who i was lucky enough to have a week of lessons with, keep an eye out for a bit of his teachings in the next issue of the lowdown) and NHOP.

Gear: Blue Yamaha TRB6 (Normally EADGCF), Black Ibanez Gary Willis (EADGC), Wes Lambe 8 String Hybrid(EADadgbe), a century old german upright into a Phil Jones Suitcase and 4b extension.

Effects: EH Bass microsynth, Hao Rust Booster, Pigtronix Envelope Phaser, H&K Rotosphere and NI Guitar Rig 2 into Apple powerbook.

Edited by Mikey D

Male, 22, playing for 6 years this year.

Main bass is a 5 string Warwick, backed up by a Fretless Ibanez Gary Willis 5 string. Also have two 4 string basses, a custom handmade Precision that I cant bring myself to sell on and a sexy 4 string Jazz Bass that I keep for slapping.

Love most music, really into Funk, Reggae and Rock, with a touch of Jazz and Motown. Would say im a groove based player more than anything, I tend not to over complicate things and aim to keep the bassline well balanced yet interesting, whilst serving the song in the best possible way.

I Still think im rubbish though, but I play everyday for at least an hour so im getting there...

29, Male.

Basses: 4 and 5 String Fretted bases, Passive or active electronics.

Style: really my own, as no matter what kind of music I'm playing, it always sounds like me.

I have a influences from Bassplayers such as Flea, Steve Harris, Les Claypool, etc, but I Learned on my own, and most of my band experience has been with Originals bands, so, I've had full use of my creative skills in a way to mold my sound my own way.
I play mostly without Fx, but I love well placed fx in a few songs.

it all goes to serving the music itself and not my ego. (I'm not that good anyway, lol)

18 - Male.

Been playing for coming up to 4 years now.

Mainly 4 string, though I do love the Low B. I own Yamaha 4 and 5 strings - the same model too, just one has an extra string!

Love funk. Jamiroquai are where it's at! I also love rock, and would say my major influences are Timmy C of Rage, Stu Zender, Flea, Nathan Watts, Paul Turner.

Hardly EVER use a pick, though I really should because the sound is gorgeous. Finger style player mainly, although I do LOVE to slap. Very basic tapping skills - Never use it really.

I love to lock in and just keep the tight groove flowing. I'm also an active member of the "Watch the drummer's kick drum foot" Club. I try to be as melodic as possible without detracting from my Rhythmic duties!

In one word: "s***e"

In more detail: Female, 23, been playing 3 years...or maybe 4...+several on g****r before that
I like anything that's remotely metally/jazzy, I wouldn't want to give anyone the insult of describing them as an influence of mine

and I guess I have a slight preference for 5 strings

29, been playing on and off for 12 years or so.

Fingerstyle all the way, never got on with using a pick although I do like the sound.

For me, bass is all about locking in tight with a great drummer and attempting to take the venue apart by having a riot! Doesn't always work of course :)

I mainly play classic rock and pop stuff these days and it's fun putting my own stamp on that kind of thing, without losing the original feel.

Si

still lovin all these replies....this thread is well and truly alive!!

the question was: what kind of bass player are you?

some folk are writing back "basically sh*te!" and I dont believe it for a moment!

the most important thing is simply playing... if we get enjoyment out of it and perform live on occasion, then we are on a winner!

we always learn something from someone no matter the level they are at!

Been playing on and off (mostly off) for 16 years. Recently been playing electric guitar for a couple of bands, but decided wanted to play more bass so I joined another!

Always used to play with a pick, but recently been practising with the old digits (much prefer the tone). Main influences are JPJ and Steve Harris. Only rarely escape the pentatonic box, but now determined to play well, rather than adequately, so more practice for me!