Why become a member? ×

Best bass cases for flying?

5 minutes ago, Nicko said:

^ this, choose an airline who's policy is that you can take the instrument as carry on.  I've flown a couple of times with it as carry on, and a couple where it was checked and, although I don't normally suffer from anxiety, I was absolutely terrified before takeoff and when waiting at the baggage carousel to collect it.

Except that ultimately the decision lies with the check-in staff and cabin crew of your flight. If they have recently had a bad experience with another musician (or are just generally having a bad day) there is a chance that they will insist that the instrument goes in the hold and if you haven't packed it appropriately what you are going to do?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BigRedX said:

Except that ultimately the decision lies with the check-in staff and cabin crew of your flight. If they have recently had a bad experience with another musician (or are just generally having a bad day) there is a chance that they will insist that the instrument goes in the hold and if you haven't packed it appropriately what you are going to do?

Yep, I’ve heard that even if you buy a seat for a guitar/bass they can still insist on it going in the hold, though never heard of this actually happening to anyone. Fir me it’s a cheaper instrument in a Hiscox in the hold, then worry constantly until it’s back in my hands.

When wearing to the gate make sure you strap it on upside down so the bass points at the floor. if you stand correctly it just looks like a backpack, and even if they see it's a bass then it doesn't seem so bulky.

• Thanks 1

On 26/05/2020 at 11:17, BigRedX said:

If you're flying with an instrument I would say packing it appropriately is number one on your list of priorities....if you don't do your homework and take every precaution prior to flying then I would say that's on the musicians head. Being nice to the gate and cabin crew is essential if you want to try and get your instrument on the plane, even something as simple as a smile and a good afternoon can get you a long way with aircrew. I got lucky and never had a major issue with flight crew when I was travelling a lot with my bass and only had to gate check it when the flight was absolutely rammed

• Like 1

On 26/05/2020 at 12:45, ped said:

When wearing to the gate make sure you strap it on upside down so the bass points at the floor. if you stand correctly it just looks like a backpack, and even if they see it's a bass then it doesn't seem so bulky.

This sounds like a good idea

but now I only one one good bass and I'm scared I would get there and then they would ask me to put the bass in the hold

I would probably don't fly

posting it is looking to be a solution and safer