Why become a member? ×

Best bass cases for flying?

1 hour ago, Steve Browning said:

Yeah I had a look at them.so would I need to buy a soft case that fit in there?would a mono fit in that?

Edited by fiatcoupe432

1 hour ago, Lozz196 said:

I’ve always used a Hiscox case. I wrap a towel around the neck to stop movement in the case and never had any problems.

Thank you! I had a bad experience and that's the main reason why......

one of my old basses fell of a certain height while they were loading luggages in the plane. we were all waiting to board and we saw all the scene by the window in the airport.

Bass was in a hard case and bubble wrapped but that didn't help very much as with the impact the case (locked) opened and bass flew out of it

thanks to bubble wrap managed to reduce damages but it still got badly damaged.

A friend of mine who flies a lot with her basses uses one of those bass safe things. You put the instrument in a gig bag, and put that in the bass safe. It’s on wheels too.

It’s a good idea to put a couple of luggage straps around, to help prevent the case coming open.

Edited by ambient

9 minutes ago, ambient said:

A friend of mine who flies a lot with her basses uses one of those bass safe things. You put the instrument in a gig bag, and put that in the bass safe. It’s on wheels too.

It’s a good idea to put a couple of luggage straps around, to help prevent the case coming open.

Thanks kev!

What you reckon for gig bag? Did you ever sell that mono?

Wouos a mono fit?

Any experience with the gruv gear kapsule?

2 minutes ago, steviedee said:

I've had a bass safe and it was pretty good but I saw it launch like a missile out of baggage carousel which was a bit nerve racking. I just use proper flighcases now but they are very heavy. 

Are they the molded ones? As usually the bass has plenty of space inside to rattle and move

Edited by fiatcoupe432

2 minutes ago, fiatcoupe432 said:

Are they the molded ones? As usually the bass has plenty of space inside to rattle and move

Yes I had foam cut to fit the bass and it's removable so I can add another insert if I'm taking something else.

Edited by steviedee

39 minutes ago, fiatcoupe432 said:

Thanks kev!

What you reckon for gig bag? Did you ever sell that mono?

Wouos a mono fit?

Any experience with the gruv gear kapsule?

I think the M80 does. I haven’t seen a Kapsule. The couple of times I’ve flown I’ve taken the bass on board with me, that’s got increasingly difficult recently though.

I had issues with a flight company: they forgot my instrument to the airport and then ruined the molded case.

I would not fly with either of my M80, if I did not buy a ticket and a seat to her. That SKB looks rough and tough enough to withstand airport abuse.

Hiscox Liteflite has always served me well. I used to use an old red label Fender case until it got totally smashed in. It looked like someone had just taken lumps out of it with a hammer. Maybe they had? Since then it's been a Hiscox, and I don't take any 'irreplaceable' instruments if I have to fly. 

On 23/05/2020 at 19:11, fiatcoupe432 said:

Hi guys I'm sure this has been asked before but what are the most secure cases for flying?

All tge best

tony

I always carried my bass on with me (I worked for a cruise company in the states and couldn't afford to have the airlines lose my bass, which is what happened the one time I did check it....). I use a reunion blues continental gig bag, with the bass thoroughly bubble wrapped inside. Its light enough to carry around airports and sturdy enough to survive being gate checked if push comes to shove, though I only had to gate check it once or twice :) 

13 hours ago, funkypenguin said:

I always carried my bass on with me (I worked for a cruise company in the states and couldn't afford to have the airlines lose my bass, which is what happened the one time I did check it....). I use a reunion blues continental gig bag, with the bass thoroughly bubble wrapped inside. Its light enough to carry around airports and sturdy enough to survive being gate checked if push comes to shove, though I only had to gate check it once or twice :) 

^ this, choose an airline who's policy is that you can take the instrument as carry on.  I've flown a couple of times with it as carry on, and a couple where it was checked and, although I don't normally suffer from anxiety, I was absolutely terrified before takeoff and when waiting at the baggage carousel to collect it.