Why become a member? ×

Graphics

stewblack

It's just decoupage.  The Lutz guitarist has a Joe 90 one on a double-cut body - pre-lockdown he had mentioned he was going to strip it all down and start over, not sure whether he did.

I forget what glue was used, may have been Pritt(!) but probably something for wallpapering.  I do recall the source images were done off colour copied images (heavy semi-gloss paper, like photographs), not from cuttings out of old TV21 annuals...this was just to stop the reverse of a double-sided image leeching through.  Once it was done and the glue dried, he just sealed it with several layers of clearcoat.  It was far from smooth, but looked great.  He runs it with one pickup, one volume.  In the neck pickup cavity he's got an action figure in there with a computer fan over the top.  Very Phil X.

• Like 1

A friend of mine does something similar with the tops of tobacco tins.

You can use normal PVA glue and paste the images onto the body or (and this is one of the tricks of the trade) do it onto a grease proof/ non stick material, wait for the glue to dry, peel it off, turn it over and, using water and a scouring pad, rub away the paper.

You're left with the images which can be glued onto your surface of choice.

Obviously, have a practice on something of little value till you have the process mastered.

Edited by TheGreek

23 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

A friend of mine does something similar with the tops of tobacco tins.

You can use normal PVA glue and paste the images onto the body or (and this is one of the tricks of the trade) do it onto a grease proof/ non stick material, wait for the glue to dry, peel it off, turn it over and, using water and a scouring pad, rub away the paper.

You're left with the images which can be glued onto your surface of choice.

Obviously, have a practice on something of little value till you have the process mastered.

There's a wonderful art restoration channel on You Tube called Baumgartner Restoration, which operates out of Chicago.  Julian Baumgartner regularly uses tissue paper (or later on a stronger Japanese version), which is pasted to the front of paintings to stabilise the paint layer while he reverses previous restorations (generally on the rear of the canvas).  It's fascinating stuff and is similar to what @TheGreek, the honourable member for Hatfield, describes above.

• Thanks 1

On 24/05/2020 at 15:10, NancyJohnson said:

There's a wonderful art restoration channel on You Tube called Baumgartner Restoration, which operates out of Chicago.  Julian Baumgartner regularly uses tissue paper (or later on a stronger Japanese version), which is pasted to the front of paintings to stabilise the paint layer while he reverses previous restorations (generally on the rear of the canvas).  It's fascinating stuff and is similar to what @TheGreek, the honourable member for Hatfield, describes above.

Wow! As a photographer who does lots of professional retouching, albeit in Photoshop, I take my hat off to this chap – watched at x2 speed

• Like 1