Why become a member? ×

Who Do We Think We Are - the forgotten Deep Purple album

spectoremg

18 minutes ago, KevB said:

They never saw themselves as heavy metal. Gillan famously said in a later interview 'Heavy metal makes me want to vomit'. When Purple signed to EMI they ended up on the Harvest label which tended to be set aside for their more left field artists. Even before Gillan and Glover joined they were seen as a 'progressive' group.

I've always found it difficult to categorise Purple. On Stormbringer they were a soul band 😁

I even like "Shades Of......" it's one I still play (on vinyl, natch!) to this day. I have them all,up to and including "Made In Europe" after which my interest waned somewhat. Plus some 12" picture discs (unplayed) of "In Rock", "24 Carat" and "Fireball". Love them all in their own way, saw them a few times: the last time at the Empire Pool Wembley in 1976. The tube journey home was a riot! Packed full with everyone having a great time.

Edited by phil.c60

For me, they were never the same after Mark 3 and never interested me at all after that. Strangely, as much as I love their sound, I hardly listen to them these days, I think more because of the material than anything. Some of it is obviously fantastic, but there’s quite a bit of “meh” as well, IMO. And out of MIJ and MIE, I actually listen to MIE by far the most. 

2 hours ago, phil.c60 said:

I even like "Shades Of......" it's one I still play (on vinyl, natch!) to this day. I have them all,up to and including "Made In Europe" after which my interest waned somewhat. Plus some 12" picture discs (unplayed) of "In Rock", "24 Carat" and "Fireball". Love them all in their own way, saw them a few times: the last time at the Empire Pool Wembley in 1976. The tube journey home was a riot! Packed full with everyone having a great time.

The Morse era material is a mixed bag but Purpendicular and Abandon are definitely worth a listen.

Standout track for me from the Morse era is Ted The Mechanic.  Sadly Gillan's voice was shot to bits long before this track but he does that 'telling a story to his mates' type delivery in this (a bit like in 'No-one Came') and so it doesn't matter.  Not keen on the stuttery intro for the first 10 seconds but when the riff starts.....!!!

Made in Japan literally changed my life. Even today it sounds every bit as brilliant as the day I first heard it back in the 70's. It cost next to nothing to record and no overdubs. The so called 'porky' vinyl pressing listened to on a decent turntable is sonically astonishing, particularly when compared with much of what is released nowadays. 

Have to say that other than Purpendicular, the Morse  era has had little to offer IMO. Gillans voice has been shot for many years now, but at his peak he was astonishing. 

Edited by leroydiamond
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Ok, what about...

Borderline, one of the least heavy metal albums Sabbath did, along with the likes of NSD and a lot of the Tony Martin era. Gillan always seems to rather regret his involvement. It kept him active whilst the DP reunion was being sorted out.

I was a little dismissive of Abandon when it came out as its predecessor (purpendicular) had been such a breath of fresh air but it subsequently has really grown on me. I think it might just be their most consistent album of the Morse era.

12 hours ago, KevB said:

Borderline, one of the least heavy metal albums Sabbath did, along with the likes of NSD and a lot of the Tony Martin era. Gillan always seems to rather regret his involvement. It kept him active whilst the DP reunion was being sorted out.

Gillan said it was the longest party he ever had, and what hated was (a) the pretty awful cover and (b) the muddy mix* - two things pretty much everyone would agree with.

As for 'least heavy' - when did you last listen to it? Even Jacinda Aherne looks nervous when Disturbing the Priest comes on...

*Courtesy of Geezer who buried everything under his bass 🙂