Why become a member? ×

Who Do We Think We Are - the forgotten Deep Purple album

spectoremg

Sandwiched between studio albums Machine Head and Burn, with Made in Japan for good measure, it'd be easy for this one to be overlooked. Shame, cos it's excellent and evidence that there was steam left in the Mk.II line-up but for Blackmore's shenanigans. Check it out if you haven't already. 

• Like 1

I wore out the whole of Made in Japan  😍 my favourite live album ever! WD WT WA is good but - - -

EDIT: Now I remember I bought another copy - my son has it now, looking after it for me!

Edited by KiOgon

It seems to be an album that was worn out by a lot of folk. I've never worn out another LP and I've certainly played many of them as much, if not more (Made In Japan for instance), I wonder if the pressers used cheap vinyl? I remember, that after wearing out the intro section of Woman From Tokyo, when I heard it out without the skip, it just sounded wrong.

Actually I've forgotten several DP albums other than Machine Head, which is still 👌. I remember buying WDYTWA blind thinking it might nearly be as good. I've just had another listen and it still sucks and probably explains why DP never hit the heights again in the US and while they're not revered as led Zep. Still it's better than Stormbringer

Considering the circumstances of the friction between Gillan and Blackmore had got to the point where Gillan had already tendered his resignation and recorded his vocal parts separate from the rest of the band it's surprising how good some of it is. They were clearly short of material so virtually everything got released and it's still a bit of a short album. Painted Horse eventually came out on a rarities album but it's a bit weak and you can see why it was left off. Gillan gets to have a bit of a vent at Blackmore on Smooth Dancer. There's some slick keyboard work from Lord on the whole album holding it all together.

Edited by KevB

When I was around 20 (early '80s ) there were three bands that virtually everyone I know would have said were the 'giants' of rock music  - Zeppelin, Sabbath and Purple.

OK bands like Metallica and Maiden and even <spit>Duff Leotard are the big guys now, but Zeppelin (who had imploded even by 1980) and Sabbath still retain 'legend' status.

But Purple seem to have become a footnote.

How and why?

38 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

When I was around 20 (early '80s ) there were three bands that virtually everyone I know would have said were the 'giants' of rock music  - Zeppelin, Sabbath and Purple.

OK bands like Metallica and Maiden and even <spit>Duff Leotard are the big guys now, but Zeppelin (who had imploded even by 1980) and Sabbath still retain 'legend' status.

But Purple seem to have become a footnote.

How and why?

That is a good question and only one of the 3 I can listen to now are DP. The MIJapan and MIEurope live albums still sound great to me after all this time.

While I agree those three were massive, Zep was always seen as not really a heavy metal band, Sabbath's legend was kept alive partly by Ozzie's continued fame. 

I wonder how much Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow and Whitesnake helped to bury Deep Purple? And then before you knew it metal was redefined and they were just another bunch of old guys past their sell by. 

Odd how it can happen. They sound more prog than metal to me now. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, nilebodgers said:

That is a good question and only one of the 3 I can listen to now are DP. The MIJapan and MIEurope live albums still sound great to me after all this time.

I cut my musical teeth listening to this 'unholy trinity' too, from early 70s onwards.  For me and what I like about rock music 'Made In Japan' set the marker for the best live album - if not best rock album - I have heard and nearly 50 years on I still think that.  Of those three bands, for me personally, I feel that Led Zep hasn't aged so well and I find it hard to listen to a lot of their stuff now.  But early Sabbath and much of Purple's earlier output still connects with me in a way that most music fails to achieve.

Could never get into Zep or Sabbath but have always loved DP since a copy of 24 Carat Purple appeared in the house courtesy of my older brother. IMV Ian Gillan in his prime had one of the greatest voices in rock music.

There’s an interesting read here that touches on why Purple never reached the same heights as Led Zeppelin.

https://www.quora.com/topic/Deep-Purple-band?ch=10&share=1868d6a3&srid=D9y7G

Edited by BillyHunt
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, stewblack said:

While I agree those three were massive, Zep was always seen as not really a heavy metal band, Sabbath's legend was kept alive partly by Ozzie's continued fame. 

I wonder how much Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow and Whitesnake helped to bury Deep Purple? And then before you knew it metal was redefined and they were just another bunch of old guys past their sell by. 

Odd how it can happen. They sound more prog than metal to me now. 

They never saw themselves as heavy metal. Gillan famously said in a later interview 'Heavy metal makes me want to vomit'. When Purple signed to EMI they ended up on the Harvest label which tended to be set aside for their more left field artists. Even before Gillan and Glover joined they were seen as a 'progressive' group.

• Like 1