Why become a member? ×

Any decent inexpensive Fender style machine heads around?

Hi all

Really want to upgrade the machine heads on my Squier Jaguar, the stock ones to be honest are crap, to much play in the tuners , a very slight adjustment can be the difference between slightly flat and way sharp, I know of the Wilkinson tuners but at only  a 20:1 gear ratio it seems that I might just be throwing money away getting those, any decent ones out there that are not too pricey? thanks

On 24/05/2020 at 19:37, shoulderpet said:

I’ve just had a set of these from northwest guitars,really good quality well made kit for the price.I bought a set of wilkinson’s 1st which were about half a mill too wide to fit on my neck,much better build than the wilkinson’s,wish i bought the above tuners first 👍

5 minutes ago, fester said:

I’ve just had a set of these from northwest guitars,really good quality well made kit for the price.I bought a set of wilkinson’s 1st which were about half a mill too wide to fit on my neck,much better build than the wilkinson’s,wish i bought the above tuners first 👍

Awesome, thanks,  that is good to know especially as they are much less expensive than Schaller, Gotoh etc, which im sure are all good but I do think the Schaller, Gotoh etc are way overpriced, I will be picking up a set of these 

• Thanks 1

Personally, I'd always go Wilkinson, and never ever had a fitting problem, on any Fender/Fender-alike bass. Other than that, I go upwards to Hipshot. But if these work, then they work. I have used similar when cash was tight, and they certainly didn't give any problems.

On 30/05/2020 at 19:46, fester said:

Would you say these are an upgrade from the stock machine heads on Fender type basses? this is too upgrade a Squier and I want to make sure that I am makign an upgrade rather than just changing the machine heads, thanks

On 03/06/2020 at 00:32, shoulderpet said:

Would you say these are an upgrade from the stock machine heads on Fender type basses? this is too upgrade a Squier and I want to make sure that I am makign an upgrade rather than just changing the machine heads, thanks

I’ve not fitted them yet,they are going on a51pbass i am building at the moment but they look as sturdy as my fender usa basses