Why become a member? ×

Some clips of Jamerson playing live

Clarky

I've been learning 'What's going on' from the score in the 'Standing in the Shadows of Motown' book. Strangely, although I'm far from being able to use just the index finger for most of it, there are some faster parts that I'm finding easier with it!

I like the fact that the clip shows his right thumb muting too.

4 hours ago, Clarky said:

Probably been posted before but I haven't seen this. Some clear examples of the great man's famous one-finger "hook" technique. Enjoy

Interesting he's clearly displaying floating thumb technique of muting the E and A in that still on the link. Something which many accustomed to resting their thumb on a pick up cover have to learn when using 5 string to stop the open B from ringing. 

Edited by drTStingray
  • Like 1

Some of the What’s Going On deluxe reissues have a live gig from 1972 as part of the package. It has Jamerson as part of the band.

I think Marvin Gaye was going through a tough phase at the time and there’s a version of Inner City Blues where he stops the song/band at two minutes as the performance/band isn’t “groovy” enough.

He then coaxes the band through a wonderful version - offering a reassuring “that’s better” (?!) to the musicians.

He revisits the song again later in the set - informing the band “don’t run with it” at one point as the groove begins to falter slightly.

If it happened these days it’d be on YouTube recorded on a mobile phone titled ‘MARVYN GAYE SONG FAILURE!!!’, or some such...

• Like 1