Why become a member? ×

Hi all,

Did ANYONE ever buy an Ibanez Artcore AGB205-DVS? I’ve searched high and low on eBay and Reverb and AliExpress and elsewhere, and cannot find one for love or money! Was it a limited-edition only (what years?), or so good that no-one wants to sell, or so bad no-one ever bought one? Please help!

Thanks & keep thumping,

Thundr

43 minutes ago, BassApprentice said:

Give me a minute, but I'm pretty sure I saw a guy on Facebook selling two of these earlier this week! 

Edit: was selling both for £500. Maybe worth trying to see if they are still available 

Screenshot_20200523-220820.png

That’s the post I couldn’t find

Thanks, Binky. What did you like least about it? Were there any mitigating factors that at least made you like it a little? (Build quality, sound, size or weight, etc..?) This would be my first bass - and I like the idea of a semi-acoustic in which I can practice plugged or unplugged...

5 hours ago, Thundr said:

Thanks, Binky. What did you like least about it? Were there any mitigating factors that at least made you like it a little? (Build quality, sound, size or weight, etc..?) This would be my first bass - and I like the idea of a semi-acoustic in which I can practice plugged or unplugged...

It's all very subjective, the build quality was absolutely fine, no problems at all. My dislike isn't because of any fault or poor craftsmanship, mostly just down to opinion. I did find the tone the be very muddy and couldn't dial in anything particularly articulate, for me even the best tone I could find didn't cut well through the mix and just sounded lost. But do bear in mind that I an a man who has quite specific tastes in basses! I prefer a much more glassy, hifi sound so anything hollow body really won't be my cup-o-tea! 

If your main reason to be looking at a semi-acoustic is for unplugged practice, you will probably be disappointed as in my experience the difference in unplugged volume between a solid bodied bass and a semiacoustic is only slightly above negligable. A solid bodied bass played through a decent practice amp such as the Roland micro cube bass RX, or a blackstar amPlug2 bass headphone amp will offer a much more satisfying and inspiring sound for practice.

• Like 1

@Jean-Luc Pickguard: Right first time: I am indeed hoping for a decent experience both plugged and unplugged. In your experience, do some hollowbodies do better than others in that respect? My search has narrowed to Hofner VeryThin H500/7 and H500/8, Ibanez AGB205 and AGB200, and *maybe* Warwick RB Star Bass. Appreciate your sharing...

I had a 5 string Artcore with the factory 'distressing'. You could hardly hear it unplugged solo and also alongside an acoustic  guitar or percussion. Only with a small practice combo as suggested by Jean-Luc Picguard is there any volume to compete.  Bass frequencies are too low to be heard unamplified with a small bodied Bass, even with an element of hollowness: I think the Artcore,from memory had a solid core?

Tone wise amplified it was OK, but as said above  a bit muddy, and the  low B was not the best, this you might however expect on a short scale  and I was on Flats too!

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...