Why become a member? ×

New bass

Sk1

Looking to get a new bass and have narrowed it down to two, appreciate any opinions. Trying to decide between fender american ultra jazz bass or g & l semi hollow asap. Any thoughts?? Play mostly reggae, some rock and such.

I love the thunder which comes out of G&L MFD pickups but I wouldn’t be able to live without a forearm contour. Instead of the ASAT I’d go for a L2000, but that’s just me. They’re wildly versatile basses with almost limitless low end if you want it. But G&L either way, no question about it.

• Like 1

G&all ASATs are great bases especially if you can pick up one with their old skinnier neck and not the current #12 which is liste as a PJ and Falls between both and doesn it please any master IMHo - necks are personal of course, but defo play one to decide.

MFD pick ups do bring the thunder as our man above said, but, if you are pre amp or pedal heavy infront your amp or however you generate sound, think carefully-being so super hot you tend to have the vol on about 75% max and the signal can quite pushed. It’s like being in a group of people, there is always one who is louder than the others and pushes the conversation, sometimes without listening to others. There is a lot of preamp and switches to fiddle with to probably just get one sound you will use. That said they look the nuts and are well made instruments.

I did not find a neck dive or a forearm contour problem at all, but I wear it fairly low. If you can’t immediately see/find one, but find and L2000 play that, see if you like the electronics, then you’ll know as its the same, just in a different shell

Good luck!

• Like 1