Why become a member? ×

Advice please

JPJ

First a confession, I’ve never been much of an effects user. But like many, I’ve been faffing around with recording during lockdown and realise that there is space in my life for a bit of chorus, octave, and maybe even a bit of filter squelch. 

So my question is am I better collecting a few individual pedals or is there a modern multi-effect pedal that will do this without a tonne of background hiss (my only experience of multi effects was an early Zoom 501)? I’m not thinking Helix expense but open to other ideas.

If you're prepared for a bit of an early learning curve, the Future Impact can handle all of the above. 

I bought one second hand for about £200 and have immediately started selling off pedals. 

I bought it as a bass synth but have been delighted to discover how capable it is in other areas too. 

Otherwise it all comes down to budget. 

Individual effects are fun but the inevitability of extra spending has to be factored in. Power supplies, pedal boards, cabling, none of it comes cheap if you don't want whines and buzzes and do want reliability. 

Multi effects can be an easy one stop shop. Zoom do several but then there's a bit of a leap in price to the world's of Helix. 

Personal recommendation? Zoom B1Four. 

Edited by stewblack
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, stewblack said:

Multi effects can be an easy one stop shop. Zoom do several but then there's a bit of a leap in price to the world's of Helix. 

Personal recommendation? Zoom B1Four. 

I agree. If you want to dip your big toe into the water, the Zoom multi-effects are a great way to start. They'll get you some reasonable representations of various effects to dabble with, and it's an easy learning curve as far as multi-effects go.  Even if a multi-effect is just a gateway to getting "real" individual stomp pedals, it's a very practical way of finding out what tickles your funny bone. Individual stomps are the real deal and tend to do their sole purpose better than what is represented in a lower-cost multi-effect, but there's the downside of additional wiring and power supply.

You may find that a multi-effect suits you well (I do) if your needs are not critical. I'd also suggest the Zoom B3n, which is a little more cash than the B1 Four, but in Stompbox mode, behaves just like having (3 at one time) pedals, with dedicated switches and knobs for parameter control. The now discontinued Zoom B3 was quite a popular pedal, and may be had for low cost IF you can find one on the used market.

• Like 1

I'd say that an inexpensive Multi FX might well be a better purchase at the moment that stumping up for individual pedals. Mainly down to the multitude of options available in the pedal market, from relatively inexpensive pedals, through to expensive boutique pedals, finding the "right" combination for you is a bit of a costly minefield, especially if you just want to get in and do some recording. A Multi FX should enable you to play about with a number of different effects in a relatively short space of time. Also add in to the mix that most of them will have amp & cab sims as well (unless you use something else for that), and that they should enable you to use the pedal as a USB recording interface on the more expensive ones (Zoom B3n, Helix, etc.)

Options:

Zoom B1-4 or the B3n (maybe look for a second hand B3?).

Line6 POD HD Desktop/HD300/HD400, or for a fair bit more, the HD500x (you'll have to factor in getting the HD Bass Pack, around £25).

Boss ME50B

Edited by Skybone

48 minutes ago, DiMarco said:

Get ready to hear 5000 different opinions on the matter. I am an analog pedal snob so don't ever trust me.

Very true. I was an analogue purist a number of years back, but then I discovered how good the newer generations of digital multi fx's were.

If you treat them as you would any analogue device, and use your ears, they are very good. 

I own a Boss MS-3 effect looper which is sounding pretty nice, but its dirt effects seem to distort properly on the lowest tones and sound nearly clean when I play higher pitched stuff. Its dirt tones also get completely lost in the mix while my regular dirtboxes do not suffer this problem. I have no clue why this is happening, only that I do not like it very much.

I will be putting the Boss unit up for sale I think rather then spending time trying to make it work. I simply prefer pedals. What you see is what you get.

• 3 weeks later...

So after much procrastination I’ve pulled the trigger on a Valeton Bass Dapper, largely based on our own Dood’s online review. Looks like it’ll do pretty much everything I need in a small form factor unit with the added benefit of a ‘flyrig’ style preamp.