Why become a member? ×

New ‘83 Precision Elite recreation

Chopthebass

My buddy had an ‘83 Élite years ago and regrets ever selling it! So I’m having a go at making him one. 
I’m going to use Lindy Fralins pickups overwound 10%, and 3-Leaf Audio Blue preamp running 18v. Should be a monster!

A1F627E0-7830-4F1F-999B-91431F7BD488.jpeg

Edited by Chopthebass
  • Like 6

• 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

Keeping it classic or considering reversing each P?

I’m building for a friend who totally regrets selling the Elite he had in the 80’s, and he wants to replicate it, but take it to the next level. The 3 Leaf preamps are something else! 
personally I would reverse each pickup. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

That really is lovely. The quality of the routing that really shows the quality of the build. I like to see things being done well even though they will be hidden in the final assembly. The neck pickup route on this is just such an example - many builders will just route a big hole for the pickup to go in, not a nice tidy job like this. Proper craftmanship. 

40 minutes ago, Jabba_the_gut said:

That really is lovely. The quality of the routing that really shows the quality of the build. I like to see things being done well even though they will be hidden in the final assembly. The neck pickup route on this is just such an example - many builders will just route a big hole for the pickup to go in, not a nice tidy job like this. Proper craftmanship. 

Thanks JTG. I do get a lot of satisfaction making sure hidden stuff is neat.

This is a real beauty. Your work is a real pleasure to see. Can’t wait to see more pics! And sound clips....

I’m planning to make a dual pickup P, but modify an old MIM to do it. Get the bridge pickup centred around a 70’s Jazz pickup line, so it will end up just a little closer overall to the neck than this recreation, I think? Same pickup orientation as here though.......But a hotter wound pickup at the bridge with less highs, to get less ‘plink’, hopefully. Can’t quite face reversing the bridge P pickup...I want to leave the neck P as non-reversed....

7 minutes ago, funkle said:

This is a real beauty. Your work is a real pleasure to see. Can’t wait to see more pics! And sound clips....

I’m planning to make a dual pickup P, but modify an old MIM to do it. Get the bridge pickup centred around a 70’s Jazz pickup line, so it will end up just a little closer overall to the neck than this recreation, I think? Same pickup orientation as here though.......But a hotter wound pickup at the bridge with less highs, to get less ‘plink’, hopefully. Can’t quite face reversing the bridge P pickup...I want to leave the neck P as non-reversed....

If this re-creation was my bass I would reverse the pickup orientation at both locations. I'm not totally sure if the 70's jazz location will put your pickup any closer to the neck. There are probably jazz bass experts here who know more than me! You'll need to make a custom pickguard if the neck pickup is different location to stock. All good fun though!

I’ve done a lot of measuring. And checking of a lot of different photos of dual P basses. Pickup placement varies hugely between different makers, models, etc. 

I’m keeping the standard P placement and orientation in mine. The EA coil in standard placement is very close to the front Jazz bass pickup placement. I just don’t feel a reversed P at the standard location sounds quite the same as a the standard layout.

The Precision Elite has the DG coil right next to the bridge, just about. Many people sticking in a second pickup get the pickup closer to the neck than that - EA coil lined up just about where the 60s Jazz Bass rear coil sits - almost. So the line between the split coils ends up sitting on the centerline of the 70s Jazz Bass coils.

Probably easier to draw than explain in words. But the original Elites suffered another drawback - or benefit, depending on your point of view - the preamp was very trebly. So the rear pickup could really get a lot of ‘plink’ on the DG strings with the coil so bear the bridge.

19 hours ago, funkle said:

I’ve done a lot of measuring. And checking of a lot of different photos of dual P basses. Pickup placement varies hugely between different makers, models, etc. 

I’m keeping the standard P placement and orientation in mine. The EA coil in standard placement is very close to the front Jazz bass pickup placement. I just don’t feel a reversed P at the standard location sounds quite the same as a the standard layout.

The Precision Elite has the DG coil right next to the bridge, just about. Many people sticking in a second pickup get the pickup closer to the neck than that - EA coil lined up just about where the 60s Jazz Bass rear coil sits - almost. So the line between the split coils ends up sitting on the centerline of the 70s Jazz Bass coils.

Probably easier to draw than explain in words. But the original Elites suffered another drawback - or benefit, depending on your point of view - the preamp was very trebly. So the rear pickup could really get a lot of ‘plink’ on the DG strings with the coil so bear the bridge.

Yup I know exactly what you mean. Maybe reversing the bridge pickup would have less plink. I think I’ve seen BC Rich do that. But this is what my buddy wants. Maybe he likes plink! Is that even a word 😆

• Haha 3

• 1 month later...