Why become a member? ×

A final NBD?- Stingray Fretless

Old Horse Murphy

Well, I started the year with seven and am now down to five. That's good, right?

Today I received a beautiful Stingray Fretless via a lovely chap on EBay. He ordered it from Music Man in 2015 and described it as being in very good condition. He undersold it: it's spotless and plays beautifully. 

So that leaves me with a P with rounds, a P with flats, a Jazz, a Stingray Special and a Fretless Stingray. I'm really not a 5 string player, so that's a full house isn't it? Surely that means I never need to buy another bass. Surely?

EF2AA0F8-8759-4EFD-BB7E-88768C31FDE3.jpeg

8A587B0E-AA84-4D98-949B-825595DD4F03.jpeg

B737129E-B5CD-41CF-9086-0F0326FE58E2.jpeg

F984F356-F143-4269-B07B-CCE4C3AEBD50.jpeg

• Like 6

Lovely collection, and that frettless 'Ray looks beautiful.

If you want an unhelpful comment, it may be worth pointing out that you could make space to explore 60s vs 70s Jazz basses... The pickups are in different positions, so there must a difference, right?

And both 'Rays are H configurations... an HH might be nice as well?

2 hours ago, Old Horse Murphy said:

Well, I started the year with seven and am now down to five. That's good, right?

Today I received a beautiful Stingray Fretless via a lovely chap on EBay. He ordered it from Music Man in 2015 and described it as being in very good condition. He undersold it: it's spotless and plays beautifully. 

So that leaves me with a P with rounds, a P with flats, a Jazz, a Stingray Special and a Fretless Stingray. I'm really not a 5 string player, so that's a full house isn't it? Surely that means I never need to buy another bass. Surely?

EF2AA0F8-8759-4EFD-BB7E-88768C31FDE3.jpeg

8A587B0E-AA84-4D98-949B-825595DD4F03.jpeg

B737129E-B5CD-41CF-9086-0F0326FE58E2.jpeg

F984F356-F143-4269-B07B-CCE4C3AEBD50.jpeg

Congratulations - that looks fabulous 😎 it looks like it is fitted with EB Cobalt flats as well 👍

Ive had mine around 10 yrs and its  definitely a keeper even though I don't play it that often. 

I'm glad you've got that - I now know that it's not just Pino Palladino, me and whoever now has Pino's back up fretless Stingray that has one 😂 (Only joking but they are pretty rare, but sublime basses) 

Edited by drTStingray

14 minutes ago, Old Horse Murphy said:

Hmmm, after listening to all the sage advice I've received on this thread, I clearly have been delusional for which I blame lockdown.  Looks like I have some way to go before I can declare a full house.

My wife will be delighted...

Acceptance is healthy. ;)