Why become a member? ×

Codename: Project Pink-Torpedo Up

Si600

I now prefer these in stainless:

inserts.jpg.d297cb2d365d8249d254ec270ce5138e.jpg

Although they claim to be self tapping I use an appropriate size tap (1st or 2nd tap depending on wood hardness) and thread the hole they are going into. The nut and bolt insertion method is required.  Occasionally I have had to CA glue one in as well.

• 2 weeks later...

So....  due to either madness, incompetence or just desiring a bass that doesn't technically exist I am trying to make a five string neck fit a four string body. The following is how I currently intend to do it, it's just a POC right now, so if any of you have any better ideas then chip in.

First find the centre line of the body. I've taken it from the pickup rout edges, but I may go from the central hump instead. I don't think the body blank was centred in the machine when the body was made so I can't use the join line.

ab4waFN.jpeg

Then draw around the neck heel and cut it out. The centre was found by putting a rule up against each side and the measuring the sides before cutting the slot out.

MKLwD0p.jpeg

Finally line up the template with the body, draw the cut lines and savage it with a chisel.

k7dbRce.jpeg

I've not started yet, I want to have another go and finding the centre of both neck and body, and using some card as the template, the paper isn't so easy to draw the bigger neck pocket with.

• Like 2

Measuring happened instead of drawing around things.  I marked two places on the neck and body, measured the neck and pocket at those points, took the big number from the small number, got confused and did it the other way around. Split the difference and marked the body accordingly. 

uzfM3zN.jpeg

Savaged it with a chisel, fifty penced the curve with the smallest chisel I have and blended the result with a small gouge and sandpaper. 

UhYNy5c.jpeg

eRVyzy0.jpeg

YtKdhZV.jpeg

wGFcMgY.jpeg

Lacking a straight edge of appropriate length, a nut or a fixed bridge, a length of dowel was recruited and alignment looks pretty good to me.

nxZDwSt.jpeg

I put a rule against each side of the neck and marked off two points on each side which I then referenced against the centre line. It seems to be bob on between the pickups and 0.5mm out at the bridge.

Edited by Si600
  • Like 8

Just now, Si600 said:

Can you use normal round files to cut the nut, or do I have to spend 90€ at Thomann for a proper set that will only be used once?

We've had this one earlier in its own topic , I've used the little welding nozzle cleaner files, sets are dirt cheap 3 quid ish and are quite up to the job... well worked for me anyway, starting a nut from scratch.. 

After finding a drill bit that closely matches the radius of the pickup slot (6mm) very carefully mark out and drill the new corners.

DjDZLDW.jpeg

Have at it once more with a chisel until....

rKvfQAg.jpeg

I need to go shopping now before I can do much more, it needs neck screws and washers, jackplate and screws and strap buttons. 

Finish? Natural or rattlecan?

• Like 3