Why become a member? ×

Codename: Project Pink-Torpedo Up

Si600

The obvious answers are:

Taper the spacer, unlikely to work even if the pickup to neck distance is large and only one pickup.

Pad out neck pocket.

Cut body in half cross-wise and have a step in its shape.

Use different pickup.

Use different neck.

Pickup cover.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

M4 is plenty.  Remember that the 'standard' woodscrews have only a 3mm core and the stainless steel machine screws (I use A2) are much stronger per mm than woodscrews.  I saw an Auster light aircraft tubular mainframe once.  I reckon that the holes in the engine lugs were around 5mm...and just four of those held the engine on!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

I've got some new pickups and tuners... this thing may actually get something happening soon...

Question regarding said pickups, they're Delano quad core soapbars and have four wires hanging out of the. I'm not clear on what they are though and the documentation from Delano isn't great. One is marked ground, do I assume that's a common ground and the other three are the other ends of the coils, though shouldn't there be four wires plus a ground in that instance?

7 hours ago, Si600 said:

I've got some new pickups and tuners... this thing may actually get something happening soon...

Question regarding said pickups, they're Delano quad core soapbars and have four wires hanging out of the. I'm not clear on what they are though and the documentation from Delano isn't great. One is marked ground, do I assume that's a common ground and the other three are the other ends of the coils, though shouldn't there be four wires plus a ground in that instance?

What colours are the four wires you mention?  If they are green, white, yellow and brown, then the Green is hot, the Yellow and White would normally be connected for full humbucking and the brown is to ground.  Any help?

Edited by Andyjr1515
  • Thanks 1

• 6 months later...

Hi, Si

A few pictures are worth a thousand Andyjr1515 words.

For Happy Jack's Lull, I checked the bolt length and insert length first to make sure that the bolt would use all the threads in the insert:

TcwsEc5l.jpg

QLqEcrYl.jpg

So that also gives me how deep a hole in the neck heel I need so that the bolt doesn't bottom before it's fully tight.

Machine bolts don't have the 'flex' that wood screws have - the inserts have to be fully in line with the hole.  I use a brad point of the body/ferrule hole size as a centre punch with the neck clamped in the correct position to mark where the centre point of the ferrule brad-point drill needs to be:

IWQBhnjl.jpg

ZXJeOHOl.jpg

The drill hole in the neck heel should be the same diameter as the widest part of the inner (usually tapered) cylinder of the insert's external thread.  They should be inserted using a bolt and couple of nuts used as locknuts and a spanner.  Even if the inserts have a hex slot DO NOT use an Allen key to insert them.  Only use an Allen key if you need to take them out again:

ad5XpoKl.jpg

These above happen to be flanged inserts.  Because the join needs to be flush, there is the added complication of having to create a rebate.  Normally, I would use the flangeless ones...but still only insert them to the flush depth.  You can go deeper, but need to allow for the longer bolts you will need to use to ensure that all of the internal thread is utilised.

Hope this helps ;)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I was more concerned whether it was something I should consider at all? As far as I can tell the neck heel is parallel with the fingerboard and the neck pocket with the top of the body.

You can tell I'm making this up can't you 😉

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 02/01/2023 at 15:19, Andyjr1515 said:

The drill hole in the neck heel should be the same diameter as the widest part of the inner (usually tapered) cylinder of the insert's external thread.  They should be inserted using a bolt and couple of nuts used as locknuts and a spanner.  Even if the inserts have a hex slot DO NOT use an Allen key to insert them.  Only use an Allen key if you need to take them out again:

Rather belatedly - I've used inserts a couple of times and always used an allen key to insert them. What's the logic behind using a locked bolt instead? Does the allen key expand the insert slightly or something like that?

6 hours ago, tauzero said:

Rather belatedly - I've used inserts a couple of times and always used an allen key to insert them. What's the logic behind using a locked bolt instead? Does the allen key expand the insert slightly or something like that?

If this is similar to my experiences, I’ve had the Allen key round off the inside of the insert before it is fully installed. This then leaves the problem of trying to get the thing out again which is not always easy!! Using a bolt with a locking nut allows the insert to be fitted with a spanner without this risk. The inserts are generally some kind of alloy that is strong enough for cutting the thread in softwood or chipboard when being inserted but isn’t always the best for hardwoods. Once installed they are absolutely fine though.

Edited by Jabba_the_gut

10 hours ago, tauzero said:

It's no problem if they've worked OK but, in addition to the issue that @Jabba_the_gut raises there are two other advantages:

- they are quite thin and lightweight and they can crack open with the force of the allen key, especially when they are cutting a thread through something like rock maple (which often they are)

- it is easier to keep them straight.  You keep the position of the bolt with fingertip of one hand on the top and do all the heft with the spanner with your other hand.

So, it's not a crime, but it has advantages  :)  

12 minutes ago, Andyjr1515 said:

It's no problem if they've worked OK but, in addition to the issue that @Jabba_the_gut raises there are two other advantages:

- they are quite thin and lightweight and they can crack open with the force of the allen key, especially when they are cutting a thread through something like rock maple (which often they are)

- it is easier to keep them straight.  You keep the position of the bolt with fingertip of one hand on the top and do all the heft with the spanner with your other hand.

So, it's not a crime, but it has advantages  :)  

I understand now. I think the only times I've used them have been with softwood or MDF/chipboard, so that explains why I haven't had problems.

• Like 1