Why become a member? ×

Codename: Project Pink-Torpedo Up

Si600

On 10/12/2020 at 16:29, PaulThePlug said:

Will the pickups need to be sunk in to the body lower than the raised center? If so the raised centre would look like a ramp... with a slight radius on each corner... and the mounting screws won't be 'edging'... Nice...

O lordy, questions!

No. Well, I don't think so anyway.  It's a Thunderbird body, so the raised lumps is full length, it should behave like a normal flat top body in that respect.

Neck pocket, how much difference? can't a little be taken off each side and the neck pocket made the correct width that way. especially if length needs to be changed for scale length.

Somewhere between 5 and 10mm from a rough placement.  I will look at whether I can just trim the neck heel, but I suspect that it will end up with it being waisted and look a bit $hit. We shall see, 

Colour or Stain? Standard Style scratch plate, none or something else? Whole length to include the V n T controls?

Depends, if it ends up with a feature stripe then clear oil, if not, then I may have a crack at a paint finish, but probably oil as I've not had a great experience with rattle cans.

No scratchplate, the rear control cavity is big enough (he says whilst crossing his fingers).

• 1 month later...

What are peoples thoughts on non matching hardware colours?

I was reading @Maude's adventures in Hofnerland and thought,  I've got some Schallers like that. They're chrome, but the bridge I intend to use is black. Will this look too weird?

Also, my vintage made in W. Germany M4s are only two over one, fine for a three string bass, so has anyone got one L and one R Schaller M4, in chrome, with the Made in W. Germany stamp in the back they would (donate) sell?

If I was going to source some original Hofner ones for mine you could've had my Schallers. I've realised though that the holes have been enlarged to fit the Schallers so no going back to original now without extra work. Hofner used Schaller parts when they ran out of stuff as Schaller was literally down the road so they're kind of fitting anyway. 

I'm not sure about mixing colours of hardware, if anything will work though I'd say the tuners might as they're on a separate part of the bass, hard to say without seeing a mock up though. 

Also on the pickup front, does it matter that the pickups are too wide? Presumably they'll be sat in cavities so the raised centre section of body is largely irrelevant, isn't it?

1 hour ago, Si600 said:

What are peoples thoughts on non matching hardware colours?

Sacrilege!

A sartorial faux-pas of epic proportions!

(However, the Westone Thunder has chrome machine heads and brass bridge & controls, and looks ace!)

:) 

Edited by Teebs
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Maude said:

If I was going to source some original Hofner ones for mine you could've had my Schallers. I've realised though that the holes have been enlarged to fit the Schallers so no going back to original now without extra work. Hofner used Schaller parts when they ran out of stuff as Schaller was literally down the road so they're kind of fitting anyway. 

I'm not sure about mixing colours of hardware, if anything will work though I'd say the tuners might as they're on a separate part of the bass, hard to say without seeing a mock up though. 

Also on the pickup front, does it matter that the pickups are too wide? Presumably they'll be sat in cavities so the raised centre section of body is largely irrelevant, isn't it?

The pickups have turned out to be miles too wide.

The neck heel is also too wide, or the pocket is too narrow depending on your POV ;) Widening the pocket means the lower edge of the neck heel protudes into the lower cut.

Basically I'm trying to make a 5er neck fit a 4er body.

Edited by Si600

3 minutes ago, Si600 said:

The neck heel is also too wide, or the pocket is too narrow depending on your POV ;) Widening the pocket means the lower edge of the neck heel protudes into the lower cut.

Silly billy!

:D

2 hours ago, Si600 said:

When I design basses I often wonder about a 5 string neck so that the heel looks like an od T when viewd head on. Then it would slot into a 4 string body with overhangs both sides for the excess areas of neck. 

I do not have the tools to do this.

Or the skillset.

But it works in my head. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, owen said:

When I design basses I often wonder about a 5 string neck so that the heel looks like an od T when viewd head on. Then it would slot into a 4 string body with overhangs both sides for the excess areas of neck.  

I can see that working if the side of the neck pocket is complete all the way to the end. If it tapers to nothing wouldn't you end up with an overhang where it joins the body?

54 minutes ago, Si600 said:

I can see that working if the side of the neck pocket is complete all the way to the end. If it tapers to nothing wouldn't you end up with an overhang where it joins the body?

I guess you would. But that would not worry any proper bassist :)

• Haha 1

On 01/02/2021 at 13:05, Maude said:

Wilkinson do some Hofner lookalikes that don't cost the earth....

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, MoonBassAlpha said:

Wilkinson do some Hofner lookalikes that don't cost the earth....

My Hofner Artist used a different tuner to the standard small Hofner guitar type that they used on the Violins and Clubs. Bigger like a normal bass tuner but still smaller than the norm today, with a large square pearl head. 

I'll have a look but I'm guessing they'll be the standard Hofner size. 

👍

• 6 months later...

Intelligent people, I need assistance (help as well possibly).

The neck pocket on my body is about 5mm too small, and the pickup routs about 10m too narrow, the whole plan was to widen the body to fit the neck heel with a skunk stripe, but how do I make one that widens to body by 10mm up to the neck and then just by 5mm?

I could extend the pickup cavities after the stripe goes in, but they're nice and neat now. They won't be if I make them bigger.