Why become a member? Ɨ

Status Vintage GP Artist - Tell me about it.....

Deedee

I have a Status incoming soon (hopefully soon šŸ¤ž) but while I've been perusing the Status site I've become rather fond of the Vintage Gp Artist model (with the P neck option for me of course).

I can find very little information/reviews/comments online about them other than a few snippets of Guy Pratt playing his. Has anyone here had one or have one and if so what were your thoughts?

Cheers

Edited by Deedee

They look belting basses, congrats.

I know exactly what the neck feels like, and thatā€™s a winner in my book.

Martin the Charlatans bassist was using one at the performance last year at Glastonbury if you can look it up - it was the only decent thing about that performance and the bass sounded hugeĀ 

39 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

They look belting basses, congrats.

I know exactly what the neck feels like, and thatā€™s a winner in my book.

Martin the Charlatans bassist was using one at the performance last year at Glastonbury if you can look it up - it was the only decent thing about that performance and the bass sounded hugeĀ 

Iā€™ll look that up, thanks. šŸ‘

Just to clarify,Ā the Status that I have incomingĀ is a CW signature model but I find myself thinking thatĀ a GP Vintage would also be a nice addition for when aĀ more traditional look is required. šŸ˜

21 minutes ago, Deedee said:

Iā€™ll look that up, thanks. šŸ‘

Just to clarify,Ā the Status that I have incomingĀ is a CW signature model but I find myself thinking thatĀ a GP Vintage would also be a nice addition for when aĀ more traditional look is required. šŸ˜

Yes get both - end of!!!

Or get a status P neck on any bass traditional bass it may fit for that look?

Edited by Cuzzie
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Cuzzie said:

Or get a status P neck on any bass traditional bass it may fit for that look?

That's what I'm torn between at the moment.

I had a Stingray with a Status neck a few years back and that was great. Then a few weeks back I saw the stealth P that @walshy had put together which looked stunning (he beat me to it otherwise I'd have bought the neck off here). I'm just curious what the semi-solid body and electronics bring to the party on the Vintage GP. I believe an active/passive switch can be fitted as a custom option.

I had a red one of these for a litte while but I'm pretty sure it was passive only. The neck was fantastic, the sound was like a good P should be and it was relatively light weight. I didn't bond with it, partly because of the body shape: it's squared-off in comparison with a normal contoured P and I preferred my CIJ not-for-export and my old Yamaha BB so it didn't get much of a look-in.

Might be worth rubbing the lamp and summoning @Happy Jack, since he owned it at least twice and had fond things to say about it.

Ā 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Passive bass with a graphite neck for extraordinary punch, Precision on steroids and without the OTT elements that a Seymour Duncan 1/4-pounder can bring.

Relatively lightweight, drop-dead gorgeous in red/black, not hugely ergonomic with a fairly sharp slab side to it.

In the truly enormous pantheon of Basses I Rather Wish I Had Never Sold my old GP Artist ranks much higher up the pecking order than you might imagine.

Ā 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Deedee said:

Thanks @Happy Jack.

So I take it that was the GP Standard as opposed to the GPĀ Artist (the artist is listed as having an 18v active pre)?

I'm not convinced that I even knew there were two flavours at the time!

It was this one:Ā 

Status Vintage PJ4 2010 Sold

Note the lack of a battery compartment.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

5 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

I'm not convinced that I even knew there were two flavours at the time!

It was this one:Ā 

Status Vintage PJ4 2010 Sold

Note the lack of a battery compartment.

Many thanks. Very nice too šŸ˜

The Status web site lists 2 different models (standard and artist), but the price list only shows the artist variety.

On 22/05/2020 at 16:48, Deedee said:

Many thanks. Very nice too šŸ˜

The Status web site lists 2 different models (standard and artist), but the price list only shows the artist variety.

Theyā€™re almost certainly made to order, and theyā€™re a custom builder, so theyā€™ll probably be open to build whatever iteration of the bass youā€™re interestedĀ in.

Si

1 hour ago, Sibob said:

Theyā€™re almost certainly made to order, and theyā€™re a custom builder, so theyā€™ll probably be open to build whatever iteration of the bass youā€™re interestedĀ in.

Si

Yes Iā€™m aware of that (my CW build has been delayed by theĀ Covid shutdown). I was just curious to hear of other membersĀ thoughts on the GP model(s).

59 minutes ago, bassfan said:

Just phone Rob and put another order in mate. I can drool over 2 new status threads when they arrive!! šŸ˜‚

It may come to that. The latest Guy Pratt lock downĀ instalment hasnā€™t helped! šŸ¤£

• Like 1
  • Haha 1