Why become a member? ×

nut repair - milliput?

Has anyone here used milliput to repair a nut? If so how did it go?

In my eagerness to set up my recently purchased acoustic tenor guitar I filed one of the nut slots about one metric gnat's knob too deep, so when the open string is hit hard there's a bit of a buzz/rattle against the first fret.

I've heard of the baking soda & superglue method to fill in the slot so it can be recut, and I was originally planning to try this, however I've also seen references to using white superfine milliput two part epoxy putty instead. I have some of this and it was ideal for filling in a couple of dents in a white bass a while ago so I'm going to give it a try.

I'll report back when its done if anyone is interested.

• Like 3

I can confirm that milliput does indeed work well for repairing a nut or in my case partially filling nut slots to refile. I used the white superfine milliput. It was a fairly uneventful process - I just cut off enough make a ball the size of a pea from each of the two component parts of the milliput, mixed them together well after rolling each ball into a long sausage. Once it was in the slots and tidy I left it overnight and attacked it with the files the next day. Here's the nut after filling - it doesn't look particularly neat, but that doesn't matter - it looked tidier after filing, and now the nut is back on the guitar the strings are covering my handiwork and there's not much to see.

To cut the slots I used cheap files made for cleaning welding nozzles, which were perfect for this nut.

nut.JPG

Edited by Jean-Luc Pickguard
  • Like 3