Why become a member? ×

NBD: Ibanez SR876 (6-string active bass)

Lunatique

Just received my first 6-stringer today--the Ibanez SR876 (got it used off of Reverb).

I've been debating with myself whether I should add a 6-string to my herd. At first, it was a no, because none of the stuff I played really required a 6-string or even benefited from it. I always felt like if I wanted to do a lot of melodic soloing and fuller chord voicings, I might as well just play my guitar. But then I came across a song I wanted to learn how to play and it was written for 6-strings bass, and that changed my mind.

The bass arrived with a few minor issues. First, it wasn't making any sound, and I had to open up the back to see what was wrong. Turned out the back cover was pressing against the innards and causing a short, and after moving the guts around a little, it was fine. The fret ends were also protruding out and quite sharp, so I filed them down. Then I raised the action on the B and C strings a bit because they rattled badly. I swapped out the lock pins with Dunlop straploks, and I'm using a wide neoprene strap (the most comfortable and ergonomic IMO). After doing all that, the bass was in tip-top shape. Played great, sounded great. No neck-dive. The Bartolini pups sounded fine, and the mid-frequency switch gives a good range tonal options. The strings that came with the bass are still fresh with that zing.

Originally, I was going to get a SR506E, but I keep seeing used with with badly scuffed up finish, and read a warning from an owner about how easy it was to scuff up the paint job. And that brown paint job looked kinda cheap too. But it does have active/passive switch, and it's also about a pound lighter (based on the weight listed by one seller) than my SR876, which is 9.7 lbs. My preference is for 8 lbs. or less, but it's perhaps a bit unrealistic for 6-stringers. Maybe in the future I might replace this with a lighter headless 6-string (chambered Kiesel, perhaps), if I end up playing a lot of 6-string stuff. For now, I'm quite happy with it.

20200521_172353.jpg

20200521_172439.jpg

20200521_172545.jpg

20200521_172737.jpg

20200521_172821.jpg

20200521_172923.jpg

Edited by Lunatique

That is rather nice! I actually wanted one of those myself, but when I called my local shop and they contacted the UK distributor it transpired that it's a model only available in North America despite being advertised globally. I ended up getting a really great deal on a 506e instead and whilst the brown finish doesn't thrill me and may damage easily, as a bass it's still got a lot going for it; a great feeling neck, good fretwork, the first Bartolini electronics I've ever actually liked the sound of ...and it cost less than half of what I was prepared to pay for the 876. Mine weighs 3.88kg (which google tells me is 8.5 pounds) so yeah, about a pound lighter.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, robertg43 said:

Looks nice but couldnt read text why did you put the text in black block writing? 

Sorry, I use a plugin that makes all web pages into dark theme, and that mucked up the colors. I just fixed it.

8 hours ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

That looks like a cracker, but I really wish Ibanez would drop the SDGR headstock logo. It makes every bass they put it on look cheap and tacky. 

The SDGR line is sort of their low to middle-range line, so I guess it's fine that it doesn't look too high-end with that logo. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Lunatique said:

The SDGR line is sort of their low to middle-range line, so I guess it's fine that it doesn't look too high-end with that logo. 

Not really, my SR5006 is one of their most expensive bass models and still has the same logo...albeit in gold 😄

Cracking bass you got  btw, I own 2 Ibby SR sixers, the aforementioned SR5006 and a 3006 and used to own a 506 in two versions and I have to say that for me they are some of the best designed 6 string basses, you have the range but the bass still feels sleek and compact. I also happen to like the Barts though the electronics in the 5006 is subpar, but anyways I use it in passive so no big deal. 

4 hours ago, Paulhauser said:

Not really, my SR5006 is one of their most expensive bass models and still has the same logo...albeit in gold 😄

Cracking bass you got  btw, I own 2 Ibby SR sixers, the aforementioned SR5006 and a 3006 and used to own a 506 in two versions and I have to say that for me they are some of the best designed 6 string basses, you have the range but the bass still feels sleek and compact. I also happen to like the Barts though the electronics in the 5006 is subpar, but anyways I use it in passive so no big deal. 

Oh, that's right, I forgot the SR line does have the Prestige and Premium lines. I always think of the BTB line when I think of higher-end Ibanez.

I'm an Ibby fan mainly because of their tendency to design basses that are sleek, fast, and light weight, as well as have nice preamp/EQ flexibility. They're also usually easy on the eyes. I started out with various brands like Music Man, Fender, NS Design, Samick, Dingwall, etc., but now five of my six basses are Ibanez, and just one NS Design. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

That looks like a cracker, but I really wish Ibanez would drop the SDGR headstock logo. It makes every bass they put it on look cheap and tacky. 

I don't find it any tackier than any other logo. On the plus side the EHBs don't have any logo on their headstocks!

13 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Well, that is a bit judgemental about the decor of his house :D

I took it out to the front porch to take the photos.

But I have left packed basses out before, to be picked up by the postman in the morning to be shipped off. I have a security camera mounted on my door with a big warning sign, so I don't think anyone will try to steal it. But of course, someone could just wear a mask. I live in a decent neighborhood, so not too worried. And I always insure the bass when I buy shipping labels. 

3 hours ago, visog said:

That should keep you occupied... Lifetime of music on that rascal...

I feel a little guilty, because I can count on one hand how many songs I'd likely end up playing on the 6-string (a couple of Primus songs, a couple of prog metal songs, and maybe a couple of jazz/fusion songs). But vast majority of the songs I'd ever play are going to be on 4-string and the occasional 5-string (when I need the really low notes and don't want to detune the 4-string). 

• 3 weeks later...

I have (I think the earlier model) the ibanez sr756

I'm not sure it's the earlier model as I get confused when it comes to ibanez but I have to say its a very fine instrument

I have payed £550(literally as new asi bought it from a guitar player who wanted experiment with 6 string bass and then left it in its case) and this bass beats many and most expensive instruments I have played

only thing I would change would be the preamp (don't get me wrong, still sounds very very nice, just my preference)

I love the pj configuration on it and that's why I ve decided to go for it

Great instruments at a super affordable price

Edited by fiatcoupe432

8 hours ago, fiatcoupe432 said:

IMG_20200609_084020.jpg

IMG_20200609_083952.jpg

I've been eyeing the SR656, which also has the CND pickups. I have a SR650, which has those pickups too, and they do sound nice. But the single-coil hum is kind of annoying, and I've been thinking about swapping it out with a Big Single. But I'm going to sell off the SR650 once my EHB1000 gets here. 

My SR876 turned out to have a stripped truss rod, and I've been working with Reverb to get them to allow me to return it. Initially they said no because while setting it up, I had raised the nut slots (the previous owner had filed them so low that the strings almost touched the fretboard at zero fret), and that counts as "having made adjustment to the instrument and no longer in the condition it was shipped in," and I've been trying to make the case that the nut is inconsequential and I could just buy a new one for a few bucks. It's the truss rod that's the dealbreaker. 

Edited by Lunatique

46 minutes ago, Lunatique said:

I've been eyeing the SR656, which also has the CND pickups. I have a SR650, which has those pickups too, and they do sound nice. But the single-coil hum is kind of annoying, and I've been thinking about swapping it out with a Big Single. But I'm going to sell off the SR650 once my EHB1000 gets here. 

Well, the big single also suffers from single coil hum, being a single coil.

What doesnt though is the big split, which looks identical (and sounds pretty similar).

1 hour ago, Woodinblack said:

Well, the big single also suffers from single coil hum, being a single coil.

What doesnt though is the big split, which looks identical (and sounds pretty similar).

I was under the impression that Big Single is technically a stacked dual coil, with the other coil under the first one. But I guess I was mixing up the Big Split with the Big Single. 

I have the Big Split on my EHB1505 and I like its tone too. 

46 minutes ago, Lunatique said:

I was under the impression that Big Single is technically a stacked dual coil, with the other coil under the first one. But I guess I was mixing up the Big Split with the Big Single. 

Yeh, thats the big split. It is quite a difference if I sit in my room with the 1505 compared to all the premiums, they pick up a lot more noise. Also if I am gigging, I can't get near the valve amp with the SRs with the big singles.

• Like 1