Why become a member? ×

Big Block 750 preamp revalve

So I’ve got a Mesa BB750, monster of an amp, but I think it is due a revalve.

It has 4 12ax7 or ecc83’s whatever designation you prefer to use. Has a real classic almost borderline SVT tone minus the heft. 

What I am really trying to seek out is a bit of guidance on what are the best valves to whack in there to get as fuller tone as possible. I like nice warm lows, punchy mids with a nice crisp top, but not too sizzly. 

I am using a Stingray & Jazz Bass both with East Preamps and have an MXR compressor going in the front.

i am all ears.

Thanks

2 hours ago, HazBeen said:

I like Tung Sols a lot, have them in my BB as well. Loud, round and clean.

That said, 1 of the valves is for the overdrive circuit. You could try some hi-gain options.

Long shot, do you happen to know which valve is for the gain stage? That sounds like a good option to explore.

55 minutes ago, timmchale2009 said:

Long shot, do you happen to know which valve is for the gain stage? That sounds like a good option to explore.

Thinking about it, I think 2 are for the OD, 2 for the preamp. If memory serves me well, the 2 closest to the input jack are for the OD and the 2 in the middle are for the pre. I have a v1 (ultra low noise) in the first of the 2 pre slots and normal ones in all others. Works well enough :)

Edited by HazBeen

5 minutes ago, HazBeen said:

Thinking about it, I think 2 are for the OD, 2 for the preamp. If memory serves me well, the 2 closest to the input jack are for the OD and the 2 in the middle are for the pre. I have a v1 (ultra low noise) in the first of the 2 pre slots and normal ones in all others. Works well enough :)

Smashing. Now excuse my ignorance further which classes as the first or second slot? Closest to the front or closest to the back of the amp?