Why become a member? ×

Gev Delano plays Bach on a fretless.

dave_bass5

On 21/05/2020 at 09:03, 4000 said:

How much is he going to hate playing the bass by the time he’s in his 20s?😉😂

As long as he keeps on smiling and grooving he’s going to love it.

Non-musicians (particularly those that struggle with trying to play) look at the pain of musical development as a net loss.  In a musician’s mind the confusion, soreness, callouses, fear is just a part of getting to the good stuff.

You sound like a bad cook who says  “all that work to find Good ingredients and all that time in a hot kitchen seems like a huge chore”. 

He’s obviously found the happy place. 

Edited by BassicBbBlues

8 minutes ago, BassicBbBlues said:

As long as he keeps on smiling and grooving he’s going to love it.

Non-musicians (particularly those that struggle with trying to play) look at the pain of musical development as a net loss.  In a musician’s mind the confusion, soreness, callouses, fear is just a part of getting to the good stuff.

You sound like a bad cook who says saying “all that work to find Good ingredients and all that time in a hot kitchen seems like a huge chore”. 

He’s obviously found the happy place. 

Well I was half-joking. Which you appear to have missed.😉 But being 100% serious, there are lots of people who are forced into learning instruments at a very young age who eventually do see it as a chore. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, BassicBbBlues said:

All of you haters should be ashamed of yourselves.

I grew up playing Graham (11) Stanley (12-15) and Jaco ( 16-59) and do all the magic tricks by 17 yrs old. (Donna Lee, Portrait of Tracy, Duel of the Jester and Tyrant.) Since 2008 I’ve studied Upright with names you should recognize. 

1st and foremost, the kid is smiling and grooving his behind off. That should tell you something.  His feel is A++

2nd He hears ALL OF THE MUSIC.; every little bounce, burp, nick and pop. That’s like understanding calculus but doing it in crayon with bad handwriting.  Particularly his rhythmic articulation is all there.

Branford once told me something that I had proved true: when you get a sound in your ear, your brain figures out how to get it eventually. In my experience, the cats who never make it happen don’t really hear it in their ear first. Check back with him in 24 months.

3rd to the extent that he’s flubbing some notes, playing out of tune, ghost noting and faking some notes, he has learned the First Commandment of Bass:

“Thou may f)$@ up the note but thou must never f%#* up the groove.”

He knows this at 10!

Your quibbling about him only is an admission of failure for all to see. 

Put something up that shows us how it’s done if you don’t like what he’s doing rather than trying to tear him down. Damn. You just put your weakness on full display when you try to tear him down,

Somebody really has had a sense of humour bypass, haven’t they?

• Haha 1

On 28/05/2020 at 16:43, BassicBbBlues said:

All of you haters should be ashamed of yourselves.

I grew up playing Graham (11) Stanley (12-15) and Jaco ( 16-59) and do all the magic tricks by 17 yrs old. (Donna Lee, Portrait of Tracy, Duel of the Jester and Tyrant.) Since 2008 I’ve studied Upright with names you should recognize. 

1st and foremost, the kid is smiling and grooving his behind off. That should tell you something.  His feel is A++

2nd He hears ALL OF THE MUSIC.; every little bounce, burp, nick and pop. That’s like understanding calculus but doing it in crayon with bad handwriting.  Particularly his rhythmic articulation is all there.

Branford once told me something that I had proved true: when you get a sound in your ear, your brain figures out how to get it eventually. In my experience, the cats who never make it happen don’t really hear it in their ear first. Check back with him in 24 months.

3rd to the extent that he’s flubbing some notes, playing out of tune, ghost noting and faking some notes, he has learned the First Commandment of Bass:

“Thou may f)$@ up the note but thou must never f%#* up the groove.”

He knows this at 10!

Your quibbling about him only is an admission of failure for all to see. 

Put something up that shows us how it’s done if you don’t like what he’s doing rather than trying to tear him down. Damn. You just put your weakness on full display when you try to tear him down,

Hilarious - thanks for that.

:i-m_so_happy:

• 1 month later...

I'm happy to never hear any more of the kid bassist who can certainly play fast but certainly can't play either in tune or with any musicality, it's just not entertainment.

But I am SO looking forward to more from BassicBbBlues/Basslover :)

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Sorry, this video is a fake: Lots of notes are missing ! You can hear it, when you play the video at 0,25-speed. Nevertheless he is a brilliant faker ! But if you do know the music AND know the fretboard, you can SEE, that he often plays only 50% of the music. You can hear the 1. piano, 2. the complete music played by a bass player 3. Gev playing the important notes of the music

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, DaveFry said:

In this interview Ron Carter says he encourages students to understand what Bach was trying to say first , before learning the 'cello suites

Indeed Dave. Too many people are playing (them) without any comprehension or passion. You've to understand what you play. It may take some time, but it's worth every minute or even year sometimes.

• Like 1