Why become a member? ×

Chapman MLB1 FF DH

Kev

Picked this up last week, having fun with it!

Multicale 35” to 32.76” tuned BEAD, much more sensible range than some others in my option, string balance feels great.  Perfect cross between a Warwick and a Dingwall for me based on my experiences, both tone and feel.  Quite weighty and could do with an active preamp, but I like, and its probably the brightest and most articulate passive bass I've ever heard with the tone fully open.  And I know the colour and headstock polarises opinion, but I think it looks great!  

8D937127-73BB-4C2D-8509-9036BB96CCA6.thumb.jpeg.6c0df75d25c23b7313d66b6262596e66.jpeg

F69E5F37-23E5-4E83-90F1-2FAE61BFE658.thumb.jpeg.44c6307a7dc6145313aa6d9456a596c5.jpeg

9786AD81-7520-4A6C-9980-7D1760ADA8A5.thumb.jpeg.60b8d7e8fc56e42bad2ac7cd783f02bc.jpeg

2E47BB0F-B8CB-45D8-89FA-BF19C7F051C2.thumb.jpeg.21ca55e3f54489aeb7441eb6823a3244.jpeg

Edited by Kev
  • Like 4

• 8 months later...
5 hours ago, James_Taylor said:

If you ever want to sell this, let me know. Been trying to track one done since they were first announced, to no avail 😔

Sorry my dude, I ended up going back to Warwick and selling this on a couple of months ago now.  It was a really cool bass, but in truth in the end it just didn't quite live up to my expectations of it.  It was a little odd in so far of it was a mix of Warwick and Ibanez aesthetics and ideas, but didn't really nail either; neck is a little chunky, more like the Warwicks of the early 00's than Ibanez, but the tone whilst bright an articulate, lacked real power, punch and growl.  So in that respect, didn't really nail the Warwick or Ibanez vibe.  To repeat what I said even in the honeymoon phase above, it did need an active preamp in it as the output was pretty low, so expect you may want that too with the additional expense that comes with it.

Ahaha damn, just my luck! 😂 Yeah, I’ve heard from Chapman themselves that they were having issues with the consistency of the manufacturing of these so they’ve pulled all their basses until at least the summer this year. Have considered asking Dave (Hollingworth, I know the guy) if he has another for sale but your comments have made me really reconsider as those are some of the same concerns I myself had guessed about the bass. Guess I’ll stick to my Mayones BE4 for now and thanks for replying to a dinosaur thread! 

• Like 1

Ah okay, I didn't really know what the back story was.  I assumed that they stopped selling them as they got the price/build a bit wrong, as £1,500 seemed very expensive for what it was.  Always off-putting for me to hear reasons like this for stopping sales.  A company having such a lack of control over the instruments that they are supposed to be making just seems bizarre, and I guess it only really happens for instruments built in the Far East or otherwise outsourced.  I'm sure your Mayones is a wonderful bass!