Why become a member? ×

Jamey Abersold series of books

Petey

I was thinking of investing a few pounds in purchasing a some Abersold books and wondered what the general feeling was towards his delivery style (although I feel his writing style is a little dated - music is music). They would be used for learning some Jazz improv ideas and applying theory to practice  - does anyone here use them - if so which books?

They certainly have their place and I know many people who have benefitted from using them. I guess it depends where you are in your learning as to how valuable they would be. If you are just starting out with Jazz, then, yes, they are probably worth the money (it is generally a lot less to buy one of these than to have a private lesson). Let's be honest, it's a lot less to buy one of these than a large pizza with a side order of coke and a coleslaw) :)

• 1 year later...

I know a bass player who used Jamey Abersold books when he was getting up to speed on DB and getting into Jazz. He was able to make them work for him. He was a great electric bass player and now he's a great DB player.

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎07‎/‎2021 at 16:10, Robee said:

Listen to this advice first.

Hi Robee - and thanks for the video clip - Jamey's suggested order of study is volumes 1,24,21,116,2,54,3,70,5,84 as stated in his volumes, his free download-able handbook and on line

I don't think you can go wrong with the Aebersold books. I've still got quite a few: they are very well written and have a lot of great ideas you can use and learn from (the ii - V - I and Maiden Voyage are my favourites). 

I was fortunate enough to go to one of his Summer Schools in Richmond in 2003 when they were being run, and it was an experience that will stay with me forever.

• 1 month later...

I managed to get 8 of them last month at only $100NZ

They have been really handy in this Covid Lockdown for sure.

Maiden Voyage

Jam Session

Round Midnight

Rhythm Changes 

Blues in all keys

Minor Blues in all keys

Miles Davis 

Herbie Hancock 

Thelonious Monk 

Are all good stuff. 

• Like 1