Why become a member? ×

SOLD Pending - Steinberger XL2 Transitional 1984 Black - extraordinary condition - £1975
£1975
Manchester

three

I acquired this bass recently after looking for an excellent example for years (I managed to secure it in a trade with one of BC's most upstanding members).  My search had focused on an XL2 from 1984, the transitional year in which the basses combined (in my opinion) the best bits from the L2 and some of the improvements that would take the instrument on its future pathway.  Again in my opinion (and that of the Industrial Designers Society of America) this is an outstanding piece of industrial design - a re-think of the bass guitar from the bottom-up and some advancements that have taken root in contemporary instrument design and manufacture.  For me, Ned is a gifted visionary.  

Enough of the hype, I'm not really a fan of this in ads.  So, the basics (and I hope that the images will do most of the talking):

1984 XL2

Active EMG pickups (but not an active circuit)

vol, vol, tone (the pots swivel turn very freely but are positive and effective)

1.5" nut - this takes DBE strings

34" scale

Original plug-in rest (hurrah!)

Original pivot plate

Original bag (in good condition but has a slight chemical smell - the bag has been cleaned carefully and is spotless) 

The condition of this bass is outstanding - I haven't seen a cleaner one in many years.  The bass has been played but clearly treated with care throughout its life.  There is some very minor player-wear and the odd very small mark, however, for a bass of its age, this is in superb condition.

The only flaws of which I'm aware are: 

The push in battery cover has a repaired crack (this cover appears to be entirely stable)

The top strap pin on the pivot is cracked and a small segment is missing (a new delrin pin would be easily fashioned, so I'm told - I don't have the tools or expertise).  I use the pin with a Fender grolsch type rubber washer)

At some point in its life, somebody fitted two strap pins at the bottom of the bass and one behind the heel.  These are very stable and whoever did it made a good job of the work.  An unfortunate one though.  A friend of mine in a high-end body shop offered to remove the pins and fill with epoxy, flatten and re-gel (about £30).  To be honest, I didn't go down this route as I find the bass to be more comfortable on the 'new' pins than on the pivot plate.d

The action and playability are legendary on these as is the tone (biblical).  The action is currently extremely low (really very low) band the bass is fitted with a new set of Status 30-90 rounds.  The tone is incredibly powerful - piano-like clarity as with an Alembic, though a brighter piano than the latter (for me Alembics have a darker piano tone).  The stability of the XL2 is also legendary - this is an extremely strong bass and not as lightweight as one might imagine (I'd say around 8.5lbs).

In light of the above, why the sale?  Well, I'm struggling with back pain that is exacerbated by working from home.  My home office needs a major make-over and this involves a new chair.  Really good ergonomic chairs aren't cheap, indeed, neither are stand/sit desks and I need both.  Also, though I'd love to keep this bass, it also exacerbates back pain.  I moved almost exclusively to short-scale some years ago and the ergnomics of the Steinberger - although brilliantly conceived and executed - tend to push the neck out to the left and this involves a bit of a stretch for me.  This is a problem over any kind of extended period.  So with serious regret, this bass needs a new home.  It was everything I'd dreamed it would be but I can't afford to be sentimental - I really need office furniture more than I need (IMO) the most brilliantly well-designed bass in the world.

I've priced this at £1975 as I think this is probably very reasonable for a bass of this type in this condition - it's pretty special and it's an awful lot cheaper than others (most probably not as desirable) that are around at the moment.  I'm not looking for any trades at all thanks, and I'm firm on the price.  It's probably a significant bargain and I'm losing on this.  There was a card in the pocket of the bag that indicates that the bass was sold for 2500 Euros in Italy in 2009.  I'll include UK shipping in the price, though this is without insurance.  I have a large box and tons of high-quality bubble wrap.  I can ship in the UK and most of Europe (though there'll be a shipping charge - at cost - for the latter).  Collection - socially and responsibly distanced - is possible in Manchester.  If you need any specific images, or have any questions, please just ask. 

IMG_2724.jpg

IMG_0239.jpg

IMG_0629.jpg

IMG_0223.jpg

IMG_1094.jpg

IMG_1104.jpg

IMG_1684.jpg

IMG_2573.jpg

IMG_2941.jpg

IMG_3720.jpg

IMG_3721.jpg

IMG_3722.jpg

IMG_3723.jpg

IMG_3724.jpg

IMG_3726.jpg

IMG_3885.jpg

IMG_4642.jpg

IMG_4713.jpg

IMG_4976.jpg

IMG_6199.jpg

IMG_6892.jpg

IMG_9623.jpg

Edited by three
  • Like 3

A wonderful example of a beautiful bass .  This will get snapped up.  And the  current owner  is a very nice  man with impeccably  good taste in gear.

Oh  the hours I spent dreaming about these basses when I was a youngster! I would buy this myself except that I already  bought  a Status Streamline as a surrogate Steinberger.  These sound  different to a Streamline, though, more wiry and aggressive but  in a good way . GLWTS.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Misdee said:

A wonderful example of a beautiful bass .  This will get snapped up.  And the  current owner  is a very nice  man with impeccably  good taste in gear.

Oh  the hours I spent dreaming about these basses when I was a youngster! I would buy this myself except that I already  bought  a Status Streamline as a surrogate Steinberger.  These sound  different to a Streamline, though, more wiry and aggressive but  in a good way . GLWTS.

Thanks very much indeed for this - I'm blushing here!  What a brilliant description of the tone - wiry and aggressive are perfect adjectives here - thank you!

My old bass!!

This is a truly outstanding bass guitar that deserves a good home.

Deal with absolute confidence  here, Loz is a truly fine fellow, we did a fab deal where he sent me an almost mint Fender Pbass special from 1982 and some money, then I shipped the XL-2 to him.

The condition of this bass is unbelievable really.

• Thanks 1

Miss mine soooo much. Launching basses over 20 foot hedges kinda does that 🤣. Always wanted to replace it but i totally lucked out, not having a clue what it was, and i guess the seller didnt either as he sold me it for £125. Parting with 2 grand after that felt like robbery 🤣. I brought the 90,s spirit living in hope (profile pick) it was great but not amazing. I know 1000% if i could hear it i,d of already brought it. Shamefull condition tho, it needs some rock n roll living, that poor bass certainly hasnt ever seen no hedges 😉🤣🤣. Glwts 

• Haha 2

To the seller - just start using the pivot and it will help with a couple of your issues:

- the first fret won’t be quite so far to the left and

- since the pivot pivots around the centre of gravity of the bass, the weight will take much less of a toll on you

CB

36 minutes ago, cloudburst said:

To the seller - just start using the pivot and it will help with a couple of your issues:

- the first fret won’t be quite so far to the left and

- since the pivot pivots around the centre of gravity of the bass, the weight will take much less of a toll on you

CB

Thanks for this cloudburst, I tried it and unfortunately, it didn't work too well for me.  I think I'm just far too accustomed to short scale

• Like 1

that is stunning. when you sell it do yourself and your back a favour and buy a herman miller aeron. you can get a like new one ebay for 3-400. ive used one(on my 3rd one and only changed as i had the money and not cos they wore out) for 15 years and i am ashamed to say but ive managed 10-15 hours a day on mine with no back trouble at all which i get badly. no sweaty bum like you get from a leather chair and the best lean back action of any chair. 

Edited by adledman

11 minutes ago, adledman said:

that is stunning. when you sell it do yourself and your back a favour and buy a herman miller aeron. you can get a like new one ebay for 3-400. ive used one(on my 3rd one and only changed as i had the money and not cos they wore out) for 15 years and i am ashamed to say but ive managed 10-15 hours a day on mine with no back trouble at all which i get badly. no sweaty bum like you get from a leather chair and the best lean back action of any chair. 

Thanks very much for this - the Aeron is top of the list (possibly a Humanscale in second place - the Freedom looks like it could fit the bill).  Some decent prices around for second hand too as you say - good to have the recommendation!

On the bass - thanks to all for the very kind comments, and thanks for the PMs.  This is a bass that I've wanted for years and it didn't disappoint in any way - a beautiful object, fabulous design and a tone like no other.  The back issues apart, this really and genuinely wouldn't be going anywhere.  However, the bass is now sold with payment pending.  Thanks again

• Like 1