Why become a member? ×

SOLD Yamaha RBX800A PRICE DROP
£280
Colne

bamboscha

Price reduced to £240

Weight added - 8lb 2oz/3.68kg

A bit sad to be making this listing. This was my first ever bass. I've owned it for 26 years. Mummy and Daddy bought it for me when I was 13. But it's got to go. So......

This Yamaha RBX800A was made on the 14th of July 1988, in Taiwan.

Body is ash, nice light weight. I recall weighing it some years ago and it was around the 8lb mark. I'm going to order some scales today if anyone is particularly picky about weight.

Rosewood fingerboard with pearl dots. Frets are in good shape.

The neck profile is lovely (if you like slim necks) measuring 20.2mm at the nut end and 23.7mm at the 12th fret. It's 40mm wide at the nut. For me, it's one of the most comfortable necks I've ever played.

Controls are volume, blend, treble and bass. It has a 9V preamp and the pickups are active too, so it needs a battery at all times. There's no passive mode.

The finish is Pearl White. There are numerous small marks and surface scratches and a couple of little chips, the worst being around the headstock as pictured, but nothing major. It's in good shape for a 32 year old bass.

The tuners are not original, being chrome Ibanez replacements. These were put on before I owned it.

There are two saddle lock screws missing

The original manual is present, along with the silver plastic trim piece which goes on the headstock. These were attached with double sided tape and I removed mine as I thought it looked better.

It's wearing new D'addario round wounds (45 - 100) and has a fresh 9v battery.

These were top of the line in their day and it's shocking that they're not worth a little bit more. I guess that's largely down to the pointy headstock. It's a lot of bass for the money. It's comfortable to wear and play and sounds good. It was a really great introduction to bass playing for me and would make a fantastic first instrument for someone. Or maybe you're in a White Zombie tribute band.

£240. Collection preferred, from Colne Lancashire. Socially distanced of course. I'm expecting some packaging to arrive shortly though, so should be able to post soon.

IMG_3851.JPG

IMG_3852.JPG

IMG_3853.JPG

IMG_3854.JPG

IMG_3855.JPG

IMG_3856.JPG

IMG_3857.JPG

IMG_3858.JPG

IMG_3860.JPG

IMG_3861.JPG

IMG_3862.JPG

IMG_3863.JPG

IMG_3864.JPG

IMG_3868.JPG

IMG_3869.JPG

IMG_3871.JPG

Edited by bamboscha
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, Brother Jones said:

This is a stone cold bargain. Oh, how I lusted for one in the late eighties....

Pointy headstock heaven ,  yes , I wanted one as well .

And a Yamaha Motion bass as well ( and a BB1200 , the list goes on ) 

• MB1 locked this topic