Why become a member? ×

left hand technique for small hands (and moving from electric)

julietgreen

17 minutes ago, julietgreen said:

Ooh. That's delightful. And educational.

Suggest you look up Kate Davis and also  Post Modern jukebox - in one vid they have two guys playing a double handed bass solo on just one bass. It’s the one with three girls singing in glam dresses 

• Haha 1

Dragging this back to the topic in hand, I’ve found that practicing in front of a mirror has done wonders for my left hand technique. It may sound weird but you can see the position of your elbow, your fingers and even the thumb too. (Think this was a Geoff tip, can’t remember)

I’ve also found being conscious to get the right thumb position has improved my fingering too.

I’m actually a fan of the Simandl book as I like the way the exercises build on one another, but I can see why they may be frustrating (and in some places not musical).

• 3 months later...
On 04/06/2020 at 11:45, julietgreen said:

I don't want to undermine my electric bass playing. I'm presuming from what I've seen of bass players who double that it's possible to do both without negatively impacting on either?

Hi Juliet,

I don’t log in here too often and just seen your post. I’d be happy to help you with your double bass technique if you are so inclined. 
Actually a small pivoting motion to get to either your 4th finger ascending or to your 1st finger descending may be all you need to do. I have small hands too and it is not a problem at all. In fact smaller hands are advantageous for intonation.
All the best, zoltan

Edited by bassistdekany
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bassistdekany said:

Hi Juliet,

I don’t log in here too often and just seen your post. I’d be happy to help you with your double bass technique if you are so inclined. 
Actually a small pivoting motion to get to either your 4th finger ascending or to your 1st finger descending may be all you need to do. I have small hands too and it is not a problem at all. In fact smaller hands are advantageous for intonation.
All the best, zoltan

Hi Zoltan. I think I might have exchanged a couple of emails with you once and done a few of your free online lessons. I am so inclined - I'll get in touch.