Why become a member? ×

Lectrotek

Hi Guys.

I just got hold of this bass.

Can anyone ID it/give me any more info? 

It has a serial number on the back plate but no maker's name other than 'Professional' on the truss rod cover

It looks and sounds great. Love the bridge/tailpiece too.

Cheers guys.

20200520_151317.jpg

20200520_151323.jpg

20200520_151330.jpg

• Like 1

It's a Hondo Professional H1015, from about 1980. Made in Japan, probably Matsumoku (might say on the neckplate), unless it's been abused, will be a very nice bass. As a bonus it looks like it still has its original DiMarzio Model P pickup, with a bit of fake stickyback plastic carbon fibre stuck on top of it.

h7wjxsvs9rgue9jfjlcf.jpg

It's well known that Hondo started fitting DiMarzios to some models in the late 70s/early 80s, in an attempt to place the brand a bit more upmarket. That's why these instruments are well-made MIJ basses, rather than the largely rather shoddy Samick-built MIK low-end stuff Hondo's better known for.

Anyway - don't listen to me - it says so in the catalogue! "Model H1015 with a DiMarzio Model P (TM) Bass Pickup". Says that right above the big DiMarzio logo! :P

As far as this one's concerned, they're covered with stickers but if you view the pic full-size you can see the cream covers & hex poles. The quickest & easiest way to verify is to try an allen key in a pole piece - DiMarzios are imperial so a metric key will not fit. Some MIJ pickups from this era look a lot like DiMarzios (as do Schallers) but those will have metric sized poles.