Why become a member? ×

Hardware multi-track recorder & monitor?

MacDaddy

2 hours ago, sammybee said:

Yes, https://www.roland.com/us/products/vs-2000cd/ with the optional monitor board. But it's discontinued. I think if you're going to go to the trouble of sourcing one - why not just use a computer?

I might have to. Just looking at options at the moment. But there are reasons, like being able to have a separate office and recording space. Not having to worry about updates, downloads and drivers, and latency etc.

3 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

If you are looking at the expense of buying a hardware digital multi-track recorder, but prefer the practicality that a large display brings, then why not just buy a dedicated computer to do your recording on?

Just looking at options at the moment, but the hardware route means no internet needed, no extra gear, no viruses etc...

35 minutes ago, MacDaddy said:

Just looking at options at the moment, but the hardware route means no internet needed, no extra gear, no viruses etc...

I've just had a quick look at the options available for Hardware recorders that are currently being produced and all of them appear to work on the principle that if you want to do anything more than rudimentary editing you will be transferring the files into a computer based DAW, the hardware unit simply being means of having a portable recording device that you use on location rather than transporting your computer.

Also unless you are using paid for plug-ins with live authorisation copy protection (which wouldn't be available to you on a hardware recorder) you don't need an internet connection for your dedicated computer to function. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

How about the Behringer X18 and a cheap tablet?  The Xr16 will record direct to a memory stick, but only the stereo master outputs. The x18 will record all tracks separately, output via Usb, but you'd have to use a daw to gobble that output up. I don't think there's a way you can write all your tracks directly to a stick

On 21/05/2020 at 11:54, BigRedX said:

I've just had a quick look at the options available for Hardware recorders that are currently being produced and all of them appear to work on the principle that if you want to do anything more than rudimentary editing you will be transferring the files into a computer based DAW, the hardware unit simply being means of having a portable recording device that you use on location rather than transporting your computer.

Also unless you are using paid for plug-ins with live authorisation copy protection (which wouldn't be available to you on a hardware recorder) you don't need an internet connection for your dedicated computer to function. 

i know you favour the computer route, but last night I tried to use Reaper. The first thing that popped up was this, needless to say I hadn't got a clue.  I'm guessing that doesn't happen with the hardware option?

image.png.697b76711467125a0e21d7ce3363fb7b.png

5 hours ago, MacDaddy said:

i know you favour the computer route, but last night I tried to use Reaper. The first thing that popped up was this, needless to say I hadn't got a clue.  I'm guessing that doesn't happen with the hardware option?

image.png.697b76711467125a0e21d7ce3363fb7b.png

It’s just asking how you want your audio to go in and out. If you want to record then you use an interface, changing your analogue signal to digital. You’d select whatever that is; it usually detects it and you select it. Output if your interface hasn’t got outputs to monitors you’d select the computer built-in output.

I've not owned a hardware digital recorder/portastudio, but I have owned a couple of digital mixers which I imagine would be very similar to the front end of a digital portastudio and the routing options are massively complicated and completely incomprehensible without the manual until you have become familiar with them. In general I find the computer systems dialogue boxes to be more informative.

• Like 1