Why become a member? ×

Most aggressive: Thumb vs Stingray vs Wal

On 20/05/2020 at 17:11, 4000 said:

You give three options and everyone chooses something different.😂

So, OUT OF THE THREE LISTED, which do you consider the most aggressive. 😉

Any one of the 3 with a KiOgon Tone Switch fitted 😎

1 hour ago, Shaggy said:

Another vote for the Thumb.

Plus my BC penny's worth.....most aggressive bass I've ever tried would be a Travis Bean TB2000 :i-m_so_happy:

I played a TB once. I’d say it was the heaviest bass I’ve ever played, which is really saying something!

• 1 year later...

I've been fortunate to own all 3 too, and still have a Stingray and Wal. I loved the thumb but the strap ergonomics meant it had to go in the end. 

The Wal is by far the most aggressive sounding in my opinion,  if by aggressive you mean punch and "growling" mids. I do think my setup and playing style probably contribute,  but all things being equal, deffo the Wal with Stingray and Thumb roughly tied.

I should add - and I know this can be a controversial point of view- that the Wal is schdua over mahogany which I believe makes a difference.  Previous Wal was mahogany with poly finish, it sounded very similar,  but the very present low mids I get from the aforementioned were not as in your face. So I say the wood spec has some bearing with the Wal. 

My profuse apologies if I now trigger a tonewood debate.

I totally agree with all those who say that it's the aggression is more down to the player than the bass. I was listening to a classic live recording of King Crimson with John Wetton playing his Fender Precision and the bass tone practically mugged me, such was the visceral impact.

Geddy Lee and Flea  sound aggressive on any bass, let's face it, but, to my ears, a Wal seems to compliment that aggression beutifully. Same with Jack Bruce and the Thumb Bass. Although I can't help but wonder if Thumb Basses  tend to sound aggressive because the people playing them are so brassed off by the ergonomics.

As for the Stingray, for me the aggression is all in the treble. Those basses have always had a peculiar relationship with midrange, or the absence thereof to be more specific. I know they have a midrange control on nowadays but the essential tone of those basses is characterized by a very pronounced scoop around the middle frequencies. The overall effect can be very punchy, though. Plenty of aggression in Tony Levin's playing whenever the mood takes him, for example.

Edited by Misdee
  • Like 2

On 20/05/2020 at 14:42, 4000 said:

So, inspired by a conversation I had recently, for those of you with experience of all three, which of the following do you consider the most aggressive-sounding bass (all other things being equal, i.e. player, amp etc):

Warwick Thumb

Musicman Stingray

Wal

L2000 :)

From your list though I'd say Stingray

Edited by horrorshowbass

The Thumb would top the list for me. Spector and the Warwick Thumb are the basses that come to mind when I think of something that sounds naturally aggressive. A Stingray with low action and bit of tweaking can sound quite aggressive too bit they don't quite have that focused punch of the Thumb to my ear. 

The Wal is some way in 3rd for me. They can sound quite 'burpy' as Geddy Lee proved but not really one of those basses that sounds aggressive to my ears. 

FWIW I really like basses that can have a very straight neck with low action that generate a lot of growl, so I love Thumbs. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Chris2112 said:

The Thumb would top the list for me. Spector and the Warwick Thumb are the basses that come to mind when I think of something that sounds naturally aggressive. A Stingray with low action and bit of tweaking can sound quite aggressive too bit they don't quite have that focused punch of the Thumb to my ear. 

The Wal is some way in 3rd for me. They can sound quite 'burpy' as Geddy Lee proved but not really one of those basses that sounds aggressive to my ears. 

FWIW I really like basses that can have a very straight neck with low action that generate a lot of growl, so I love Thumbs. 

OK now I want a thumb

Some people play their Wals with a tight truss rod and low action so the strings smack the frets .. loud and clanky.  See vids posted by Joe Tischler and Vic Monte on YouTube and the Wal Facebook page. "The Geddy Sound". 

Also there's a lot of range in the filter electronics too; pull out the filter knob to engage the high Q filtering and you can pass through a lot of midrange.

Depends on setup and playing style. They're distinctive but tweakable too. 

7 hours ago, NickA said:

Some people play their Wals with a tight truss rod and low action so the strings smack the frets .. loud and clanky.  See vids posted by Joe Tischler and Vic Monte on YouTube and the Wal Facebook page. "The Geddy Sound". 

Also there's a lot of range in the filter electronics too; pull out the filter knob to engage the high Q filtering and you can pass through a lot of midrange.

This is true, a Yamaha 2024 can growl with the best of them  when set up low.

9 hours ago, NickA said:

Yep, that's how mine is setup. Tbh I actually dislike the tone and feel otherwise - it's a thin line for me between "meh" and sonic nirvana,  but with the setup right and the tone controls in the right spot... *chef's kiss 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, NickA said:

I always set up my basses with straight neck and very low action. The lower the better!

FWIW I’ve never managed to get a truly aggressive sound out of a Ray; I suspect a drive pedal would help (or the Tech 21 heads I currently own). I find the Thumbs - wenge-necked ones, anyway - to be the most aggressive, but the Wals IME can be both full and aggressive at the same time. Again, a bit of drive helps. 

20 hours ago, gareth said:

Most aggressive: Thumb vs Stingray vs Wal?

Arent you forgetting this - certainly the most aggressive bass I know

588E6129-89D9-4762-97B0-69A2634D2CDD.jpeg

I used to have one of these and it was indeed a beast of a bass . I would best describe it as a Stingray on steroids, and a Stingray is already on steroids, if you see what I mean. So these basses are probably more like a Stingray on steroids and antibiotics at the same time.

• Haha 1

"I always set up my basses with straight neck and very low action. The lower the better"

My fretted Wal has 1mm of neck relief and a relatively high action.  Everything I can do to eliminate fret noise! 

Tbh I'd like a lower action but, after 30 years, the frets need flattening.

Edited by NickA

17 hours ago, Chris2112 said:

I took my new Euro LX to practice Weds night. The singer said it was the best bass sound she's ever heard. Punched straight through without being obnoxious, this was with the Tonepump set to about 4 on bass/treble. I have the action setup so it snaps when I dig in, but doesn't buzz when playing with more restraint.

16 minutes ago, 4000 said:

I’ve never played a G&L that I’ve liked. In every case, I’ve absolutely hated the necks and and if I hate the neck, then it’s a no from me. 

They offer a selection of neck profiles to order. Unfortunately my L1500 was a bit too wide at the nut for me, with an overall profile like a classic vintage P Bass. If it had been more like a Jazz or Stingray I would still own it. G&L make some superb instruments, no doubt about that.

29 minutes ago, Machines said:

I took my new Euro LX to practice Weds night. The singer said it was the best bass sound she's ever heard. Punched straight through without being obnoxious, this was with the Tonepump set to about 4 on bass/treble. I have the action setup so it snaps when I dig in, but doesn't buzz when playing with more restraint.

I had a Euro LX. I didn’t get on with it at all, one of my least favourite of the many basses that I’ve owned.