Why become a member? ×

Roger Waters........

3 hours ago, wateroftyne said:

Nursery Cryme is the first Genesis album I heard. Wind and Wuthering is the best.

Fly By Night was the first Rush album I heard. Permanent Waves is the best.

I said it wasn’t a hard and fast rule. 😉 I’ve always been somewhat ambivalent about W&W. I like it, but I don’t really love it, in Genesis terms at least. There’s nothing on it - apart from the stunning Afterglow, obviously - that really grabs me. Whereas Nursery Cryme has The Musical Box, which I really, really do love. That’s probably my second favourite Genesis track, along with maybe The Cinema Show.

You know, I have no recollection of the first Rush album I heard. The first time I ever heard them was a live set from the Hemispheres tour on the Friday Rock Show (I still have the tape); I guess the first album would probably have been Hemispheres or 2112. My favourite Rush album would be a toss up between A Farewell To Kings and Moving Pictures. 

37 minutes ago, 4000 said:

I said it wasn’t a hard and fast rule. 😉 I’ve always been somewhat ambivalent about W&W. I like it, but I don’t really love it, in Genesis terms at least. There’s nothing on it - apart from the stunning Afterglow, obviously - that really grabs me. Whereas Nursery Cryme has The Musical Box, which I really, really do love. That’s probably my second favourite Genesis track, along with maybe The Cinema Show.

You know, I have no recollection of the first Rush album I heard. The first time I ever heard them was a live set from the Hemispheres tour on the Friday Rock Show (I still have the tape); I guess the first album would probably have been Hemispheres or 2112. My favourite Rush album would be a toss up between A Farewell To Kings and Moving Pictures. 

Nothing on Wind and Wuthering?! I don't think you like Genesis much. 

4 hours ago, wateroftyne said:

Nursery Cryme is the first Genesis album I heard. Wind and Wuthering is the best.

Fly By Night was the first Rush album I heard. Permanent Waves is the best.

My beef with Wind and Wuthering is that Your Own Special Way got included and Inside and Out didn't. 

44 minutes ago, spectoremg said:

My beef with Wind and Wuthering is that Your Own Special Way got included and Inside and Out didn't. 

Yep, it should have been on, and Tony’s electric piano ramble should have been cut from Yout Own Special Way. It’s a great song otherwise (although it works on the live version with the string section)

21 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

Yep, it should have been on, and Tony’s electric piano ramble should have been cut from Yout Own Special Way. It’s a great song otherwise (although it works on the live version with the string section)

Never thought of it that way but it's a good point. 

1 hour ago, spectoremg said:

Nothing on Wind and Wuthering?! I don't think you like Genesis much. 

Really? 😂😂😂😂😂😂

With the exception of Yes and possibly ABBA, they’re my favourite band!

Oh man, that really is funny. You crack me up. 

Just now, wateroftyne said:

It’s beautiful.

Unfortunately it gets my vote for the most overrated Genesis track ever. It took me a long time to admit I thought it was a bit tedious, but it was a weight off my shoulders when I did. 😉

Of course this is all relative. It’s still Genesis, and it’s still better than probably 75% of other stuff. 

On 27/05/2020 at 19:41, 4000 said:

Unfortunately it gets my vote for the most overrated Genesis track ever. It took me a long time to admit I thought it was a bit tedious, but it was a weight off my shoulders when I did. 😉

How can a genesis track, especially from Wind and Wuthering be overrated when 99% of people have never heard of it :D

23 minutes ago, spectoremg said:

Had a listen to Momentary Lapse and Division Bell yesterday...

Kirk and McCoy.jpg

Compared to what? I was listening to Ummagumma and Piper at the Gates of Dawn yesterday. You can say the same about the wall and dark side!

In fact, if you take out from dark side to the final cut - it seems like quite a clear progression

Edited by Woodinblack

3 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

How can a genesis track, especially from Wind and Wuthering be overrated when 99% of people have never heard of it :D

I think the 400 bazillion people who recently bought tickets would beg to differ.😉😁

5 minutes ago, 4000 said:

I think the 400 bazillion people who recently bought tickets would beg to differ.😉😁

1 bazillion I think. The other 399 bazillion want to hear 'Invisible touch' and 'land of confusion'. And maybe even really old stuff like 'Mama'

• Haha 3

39 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Compared to what? I was listening to Ummagumma and Piper at the Gates of Dawn yesterday. You can say the same about the wall and dark side!

In fact, if you take out from dark side to the final cut - it seems like quite a clear progression

Compared to stuff with spirit, lyrics that rhyme and without contributions from the boss's wife. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, spectoremg said:

Compared to stuff with spirit, lyrics that rhyme and without contributions from the boss's wife. 

They did reject her idea to wear stage costumes corresponding to the signs of the zodiac though so at least give them some credit.

• Haha 1