Why become a member? ×

Roger Waters........

9 hours ago, wateroftyne said:

Of course CN is a classic, but almost the entire four sides around it - musically, lyrically and conceptually - came from Roger's brain. I don't think you can blame him for not wanting to spend much time on democracy at that point.

The same for Animals, the same for The Final Cut (which I like).

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge DG fan, but he just didn't seem to be writing around then (or much since, for that matter).

Wasn't Rick put on a wage cos Roger felt he wasn't contributing creatively?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 4000 said:

And don't forget that Wish You Were Here, easily their best album IMO, was inspired by Dave’s “Syd’s theme”, and all the best tracks on that album (IMO) were written by Rick, Dave and Rog. Which is not to detract from Roger’s concept or wonderful lyrics, obviously. 😉

Dark Side is their best album, you might think it's Wish, but you're mistaken 😁

4 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

Ironically, Rog's last solo album is probably the most Floyd-y sounding record made by any of them since he left, including Pink Floyd 😄

Is that the 'Is this the life we want?' album (at a brief browse?). I must admit to not having listened to any of his (their) solo stuff, so maybe I can put that on the list today too. Or am I just going to end up depressing myself? :D

1 minute ago, Woodinblack said:

Is that the 'Is this the life we want?' album (at a brief browse?). I must admit to not having listened to any of his (their) solo stuff, so maybe I can put that on the list today too. Or am I just going to end up depressing myself? :D

I really like it. It's a bit of a WYWH / Animals fusion.

1 hour ago, spectoremg said:

Dark Side is their best album, you might think it's Wish, but you're mistaken 😁

Nope, not at all mistaken. I heard WYWH first and it blew my mind, completely changed my life. Dark Side was something of a disappointment after that. In fact DS is not even my second favourite. Not entirely sure it’s even third!😉

47 minutes ago, 4000 said:

Nope, not at all mistaken. I heard WYWH first and it blew my mind, completely changed my life. Dark Side was something of a disappointment after that. In fact DS is not even my second favourite. Not entirely sure it’s even third!😉

You're both mistaken. Meddle is the best, although unlike any of their later work it doesn't have the concepts running through it. I think the Wall and Animals are ok overall and brilliant in places, but when Rick Wright checked out they were missing a key musical ingredient. 

Just my opinion of course.

9 minutes ago, Belka said:

You're both mistaken. Meddle is the best, although unlike any of their later work it doesn't have the concepts running through it. I think the Wall and Animals are ok overall and brilliant in places, but when Rick Wright checked out they were missing a key musical ingredient. 

I’d possibly have Meddle second or third. I arguably like it more than Dark Side.

Agreed about Rick. 

Edited by 4000

10 minutes ago, Belka said:

2 minutes ago, 4000 said:

I’d possibly have Meddle second or third. I arguably like it more than Dark Side.

Meddle is a fine album. In fact Fearless is possibly my fave PF track (runs and hides :ph34r:).

1 hour ago, wateroftyne said:

I really like it. It's a bit of a WYWH / Animals fusion.

OK, now listened as a first run. Probably have to listen to it a few more times to get any of it to sink in. I like quite a lot of the music, and RW sounds good when talking, although his singing voice is very bad, and would be best not used. It would be good if he could get someone to do the singing for him (wonder if DG is available? :D ).

You can see the threads running through from WYWH (not sure about animals, never could get on with that album so don't know it well), and some of it is very familiar (I think some of it may be too familiar).

Overally, seems ok.

...but yes, it'll depress you.

Not really so depressing but can certainly see it as a final cut++ continuation.

I suppose it depends on where you stand. If you see The Final Cut as a pink floyd album rather than a RW solo album (as many do) then yes, it is very floydy, and if they had continued in that lineup it is where they would have ended up. However, it is 40 years past the wall, and almost as far from final cut, It seems very stuck in that time, like not moved on much.

I think floyd wouldn't have had as much success as they did in later years if they continued in this vein though.

On 21/05/2020 at 22:25, spectoremg said:

To Roger the band without him might seem like your wife having an affair.

To me , the situation sounds more like divorcing your wife so you can get sh@gged more. Only to discover your ex-wife is getting sh@gged more than you are and so you start asking to watch her.

Edited by EssentialTension
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, 4000 said:

Now you've got psychosis. 

• Haha 1

Although it’s not a hard and fast rule, I often think that the first album you hear by a band is the one that sticks with you, although regardless, I still think WYWH is the best. But the first Camel album I heard was Moonmadness, which I also happen to think is easily their best, and I’m in the minority whose favourite Genesis studio album may be And Then There Were Three, which again was the first one I heard. 

I know it’s considered blasphemy, but I always thought Dark Side was hugely overrated, although I’m aware of its importance in the story of PF. I find it a bit claustrophobic, whereas WYWH is anything but. 

Meddle is my favourite PF album whereas Live in Pompeii is my favourite thing they have produced and I'd rather listen to those versions than their album counterparts. I think with PF going through several different style shifts you can pick which era you like best based on personal taste, personally I always found The Wall too dry and predictable and lost interest.

I also liked Obscured by Clouds, still have that (and A Saucerful of Secrets) on cassette somewhere.

5 hours ago, spectoremg said:

Wasn't Rick put on a wage cos Roger felt he wasn't contributing creatively?

Yes, for "The Wall" tour. They joked in the past that he was the only one who made any money from the tour, such was the cost of production.

2 hours ago, 4000 said:

Although it’s not a hard and fast rule, I often think that the first album you hear by a band is the one that sticks with you, although regardless, I still think WYWH is the best. But the first Camel album I heard was Moonmadness, which I also happen to think is easily their best, and I’m in the minority whose favourite Genesis studio album may be And Then There Were Three, which again was the first one I heard. 

I know it’s considered blasphemy, but I always thought Dark Side was hugely overrated, although I’m aware of its importance in the story of PF. I find it a bit claustrophobic, whereas WYWH is anything but. 

And Then There Were Three, presumably with Invisible Touch a close 2nd?

7 minutes ago, spectoremg said:

And Then There Were Three, presumably with Invisible Touch a close 2nd?

😂 Er, no. ATTWT came out in ‘78. So from there I went backwards; Seconds Out (my favourite Genesis album), Trick of the Tail, Wind & Wuthering, and eventually the Gabriel stuff. Then Duke when it came out, although I was never overly fond of that. 

Apart from..

The piper at the gates of Dawn...

A saucerful of secrets...

More...

Ummagumma...

Atom heart mother...

Meddle...

Obscured by clouds...

The dark side of the moon...

Wish you were here...

Animals...

The wall...

The final cut...

What has Wodger ever done for us?

mp.jpg.73ae2879261126f9c86b78e886c8a9de.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 4000 said:

Moonmadness *is* their best album that is why, although Trick of the tail is genesis best album. They may, coincidentally be the first I heard too.

Fly By Night was the first Rush album I heard. Permanent Waves is the best.

Fly by night was the first Rush album I heard, I couldn't give a best, as I alternate between Signals, Permanent waves, Moving Pictures and power windows being the best, depending on my mood. If I am in the right mood, even 2112 and Farewell to kings get in there.

3 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Moonmadness *is* their best album that is why, although Trick of the tail is genesis best album. They may, coincidentally be the first I heard too.

I’d agree that TOTT is the best studio Genesis album, I think, although it’s hard to argue with anything with Supper’s Ready on. I just marginally prefer listening to ATTWT.