Why become a member? ×

Roger Waters........

I’ve not clicked on any of the links posted here, but Rogers rant came up on my YT feed. I sort of get what he is saying, but after so many years , and PF years without him, I can’t see why he is making a fuss now. Although I get that he was instrumental in the rise of PF,  he walked away from it. You can’t blame the rest of the band for that wanting nothing to do with him. It’s human nature. 

38 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

I’ve not clicked on any of the links posted here, but Rogers rant came up on my YT feed. I sort of get what he is saying, but after so many years , and PF years without him, I can’t see why he is making a fuss now. Although I get that he was instrumental in the rise of PF,  he walked away from it. You can’t blame the rest of the band for that wanting nothing to do with him. It’s human nature. 

He’s a control freak. Always has been, always will be. I don’t think it’s in his nature to let things go if he’s not happy with them. 

FWIW I love Floyd; I think Wish You Were Here is the greatest album ever made, if there’s such a thing. 

1 hour ago, stewblack said:

Thank you @geoham that was a rather good summary. I do know of Pink Floyd, they were in the 'older brothers' bands category when I was at school. Apart from the few very well known numbers I knew precious little about them. I now know more.

Having no dog in this particular fight I can see how the schism came about and how both parties might feel animosity towards the other.

If the keys guy really was hoovering the Peruvian then he would have become a deeply unpleasant character, the fact of his rehabilitation into the band therefore speaks of a capacity for forgiveness and rapprochement among those remaining members.

However none of us is privy to the detailed mechanics of the fued and so probably best leave that to those involved.

What I can see is how difficult it must be for the songwriter and band leader to watch other cats get fat out of what he regards as his larder.

Having said that, I'm a firm believer that such things are best kept off the record.

From everything I’ve read on the subject, which is a fair bit, Richard (keys) seems to have been an extremely nice chap, Peruvian or not. Nick (drums) has gone on record as saying that Rick was the most placid, least argumentative person you were ever likely to come across. Rog, on the other hand.....😂 

I like Roger, and I think he’s a brilliant writer, at his best. But I imagine he’s extremely difficult to work with at the best of times.

32 minutes ago, 4000 said:

He’s a control freak. Always has been, always will be. I don’t think it’s in his nature to let things go if he’s not happy with them. 

FWIW I love Floyd; I think Wish You Were Here is the greatest album ever made, if there’s such a thing. 

Yeah, i got that impression. Never been a PF fan as such, although i was dragged along to see the Wall when it came out. Love the later live stuff though, and obviously thats not with RW. 

Should add, i love the Wall gig he did in Berlin, it was great seeing other people playing those songs. 

Edited by dave_bass5

21 minutes ago, 4000 said:

From everything I’ve read on the subject, which is a fair bit, Richard (keys) seems to have been an extremely nice chap, Peruvian or not. Nick (drums) has gone on record as saying that Rick was the most placid, least argumentative person you were ever likely to come across. Rog, on the other hand.....😂 

I like Roger, and I think he’s a brilliant writer, at his best. But I imagine he’s extremely difficult to work with at the best of times.

Nothing I said was meant to suggest he isn't a good guy. I just know that when addicts are in full blown addiction they are pretty revolting to be near. 

On 21/05/2020 at 15:32, geoffbyrne said:

Whilst respecting his writing, I lost all other respect for him when I discovered he was on stage with PF holding a bass while Guy Pratt stood in the wings and actually played the music......

G.

Incorrect, Guy Pratt was touring with Bryan Ferry at the time, and actually played in Berlin on the night of live 8.  Its in his book, I read it 2 days ago!!

32 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Nothing I said was meant to suggest he isn't a good guy. I just know that when addicts are in full blown addiction they are pretty revolting to be near. 

Yes, that’s often the case, but I think you need to have a far greater understanding of Pink Floyd’s dynamic in this instance. It makes for very interesting reading, if nothing else. 😉

1 minute ago, wateroftyne said:

Roger was far and away the main writer, especially later in the 70s. I can understand why he wasn't interested in anything other than his way of doing things.

He was the driving force, without question. But that underplays how important  David and Rick were to the sound, and what made Floyd listenable, and I think that’s something he underestimated. It’s still telling to me that for most people the best track on The Wall is Comfortably Numb, which for all intents and purposes is Dave’s track. 

But most driven people really want things their way, it’s not a criticism as such. I just get the distinct impression he’s not great with people who don’t do what he says.😂

3 minutes ago, 4000 said:

He was the driving force, without question. But that underplays how important  David and Rick were to the sound, and what made Floyd listenable, and I think that’s something he underestimated. It’s still telling to me that for most people the best track on The Wall is Comfortably Numb, which for all intents and purposes is Dave’s track. 

But most driven people really want things their way, it’s not a criticism as such. I just get the distinct impression he’s not great with people who don’t do what he says.😂

Of course CN is a classic, but almost the entire four sides around it - musically, lyrically and conceptually - came from Roger's brain. I don't think you can blame him for not wanting to spend much time on democracy at that point.

The same for Animals, the same for The Final Cut (which I like).

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge DG fan, but he just didn't seem to be writing around then (or much since, for that matter).

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

Final cut being the album that he got full rights to as he thought it was his best. I like some of it, but not something I want to listen to very much.

1 hour ago, wateroftyne said:

Yeah, it's heavy going. Marvellous, though.

I haven't heard it for ages. I will put it on tomorrows playlist.

Trouble is I listen to music on random most of the time. Once it decided to follow "The Hero’s Return" with Totos "Hold the line". Its safe to say it made the lyrics a bit messed up in my head:

When we came back from the war
The banners and flags hung on everyone's door
We danced and we sang in the street and the church bells rang
But burning in my heart
The memory smoulders on
Of the gunner's dying words on the intercom...

<pause>

It's not in the way that you hold me
It's not in the way you say you care

Edited by Woodinblack
  • Haha 2

Yeah, it's heavy going. Marvellous, though.

To be honest, I’m not a huge fan of solo Rog. Dave’s voice (along with Seal, he’s my favourite male singer) and guitar playing - as well as Rick’s keys - are too much a part of what I (and evidently many others) enjoy about them. They were much better together. There was a quote from Nick Griffiths, Floyd’s sound engineer, who said “Dave made people enjoy it and Roger made them think”. I think that sums it up quite well, if, as Gilmour noted, somewhat simplistically. 

Of course CN is a classic, but almost the entire four sides around it - musically, lyrically and conceptually - came from Roger's brain. I don't think you can blame him for not wanting to spend much time on democracy at that point.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge DG fan, but he just didn't seem to be writing around then (or much since, for that matter).

And don't forget that Wish You Were Here, easily their best album IMO, was inspired by Dave’s “Syd’s theme”, and all the best tracks on that album (IMO) were written by Rick, Dave and Rog. Which is not to detract from Roger’s concept or wonderful lyrics, obviously. 😉

1 minute ago, 4000 said:

And don't forget that Wish You Were Here, easily their best album IMO, was inspired by Dave’s “Syd’s theme”, and all the best tracks on that album (IMO) were written by Rick, Dave and Rog. Which is not to detract from Roger’s concept or wonderful lyrics, obviously. 😉

Yep, Roger has said that WYWH was the last time PF wrote & recorded as a band.

While there's no doubt some of his writing was masterful in the day, he chose to leave and start the animosity off with his legal actions.   If he'd simply walked away, the landscape would, possibly, have been totally different leading to who knows what now.

Unfortunately, I don't think the video won't do him any favours with those who're not big RW fans.  His stressing of "FANS of Pink Floyd" at the start comes across as a put down, "we should rise up" as he talks about "not getting weird"...

You left, you tried to block them, they're now doing what you tried to do unsuccessfully.