Why become a member? ×

Roger Waters........

19 hours ago, geoffbyrne said:

Whilst respecting his writing, I lost all other respect for him when I discovered he was on stage with PF holding a bass while Guy Pratt stood in the wings and actually played the music......

G.

Please tell me this was intended as a joke...

There seems to be some quite strong feelings both for and against............

What seems a shame and not a little incongruent, is that in all their lyrics, interviews, and public exposure, they seem to want to present themselves as mature, empathic, grounded people, but their behaviour into old age belies their lack of human development and is reminiscent of the childen in the playground who won't play nicely..........?  

Edited by paulmcnamara

7 hours ago, Japhet said:

At the end of the Live 8 gig, Waters looked elated and Gilmour looked like he'd had a bucket of fish guts tipped over his head. Waters made his own bed in all this and won't ever be accepted back. He seems deeply wounded by this but didn't have the same sensibilities when he was treating Rick Wright dreadfully for years and generally being a complete tool.

He doesn't want to be accepted back, PF are a done deal and aren't an operational band. In fact since Waters left they have been a facsimile of themselves IMO. I suspect that all he wants is for his current work (playing PF songs which he wrote) to be integrated into the website as it's something fans might want to see during lockdown when they are starved of live music. I can't listen to him now (never liked his voice and it's awful these days) but it's obvious a considerable amount of work and effort went into recording that version of Mother and which isn't allowed on the PF website for reasons other than the original intention of the video.

Roger has been a petty @rse over the years and at times outright cruel but I think in this instance it isn't him being unreasonable. They're a legacy band FFS, just stick the video on there as fans will probably want to see it. I think a lot of fans who like to take sides tend to forget that without Roger and his drive for consistently excellent output DSotM wouldn't have been anything like the landmark album we have now and the band may well have folded after WYWH, if not before. A big part of what made PF the band they were was Roger's attitude and outlook - despite court victories, expensive session musicians and hired songwriters the post Waters albums bear this out.

Edited by lemmywinks

The problem is there is no rational solution to this problem. But there doesn't have to be. If RW seriously wants to sort out the legacy PF stuff he can do that. He just needs to set up his own web site with everything on it that he thinks is relevant to PF. If he wants to be the adult in the room he should include all PF (good and bad) and band members side projects as well. That would be a test of his maturity!

Instead he airs his childish, petulant side rehashing old arguments in public when he knows there is no solution there. Maybe he's bored with the lockdown, but he really should be doing something positive rather than moaning about stuff that he can't change and ending up doing nothing. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chris_b said:

The problem is there is no rational solution to this problem. But there doesn't have to be. If RW seriously wants to sort out the legacy PF stuff he can do that. He just needs to set up his own web site with everything on it that he thinks is relevant to PF. If he wants to be the adult in the room he should include all PF (good and bad) and band members side projects as well. That would be a test of his maturity!

I suspect there would be legal reasons why he couldn't do that, and it doubt it would scratch his itch anyway.

55 minutes ago, lemmywinks said:

I suspect that all he wants is for his current work (playing PF songs which he wrote) to be integrated into the website as it's something fans might want to see during lockdown when they are starved of live music.

If they are fans, they are almost certainly going to be watching his website as much as any pink floyd website. In fact, if they feel the same way as post RW pink floyd as you do, maybe more.

So I don't see an issue.

2 hours ago, paulmcnamara said:

What seems a shame and not a little incongruent, is that in all their lyrics, interviews, and public exposure, they seem to want to present themselves as mature, empathic, grounded people, but their behaviour into old age belies their lack of human development and is reminiscent of the childen in the playground who won't play nicely..........?  

Have you been given permission from the mods to use a slopey blue font?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, paulmcnamara said:

"You! Yes, you! Stand still laddie!"

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Japhet said:

At the end of the Live 8 gig, Waters looked elated and Gilmour looked like he'd had a bucket of fish guts tipped over his head. Waters made his own bed in all this and won't ever be accepted back. He seems deeply wounded by this but didn't have the same sensibilities when he was treating Rick Wright dreadfully for years and generally being a complete tool.

Agree, whilst at the time I didn’t know much about them, RW looked like he’d had the time of his life, whereas DG just looked decidedly uncomfortable in his presence.

4 minutes ago, miles'tone said:

I'm surprised really. They were getting on perfectly well when Dave performed on top of Rog's wall at the O2 a few years back. Nick Mason in attendance too..

Apologies if this has already been talked about...

Smiling for the cameras, maybe?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, stewblack said:

I know none of the history here. But I didn't think the chap in the video was ranting. 

Let me bring you up to speed in as few bullet points as possible!

• After Syd Barrett left Pink Floyd, Roger Waters gradually became more dominant - being the main songwriter on their most famous albums (Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, The Wall). 
  • By the time of The Wall tour, keyboardist Richard Wright had been sacked from the band (apparently for too much cocaine and not enough creative input...), though was retained as a sideman for the live shows.
  • Waters' final album with Pink Floyd, The Final Cut is widely regarded as a solo album - with little creative input from Gilmour (guitar/vocals) or Mason (drums).
  • Waters then unilaterally dissolved the band - firmly believing there was no Pink Floyd without him.
  • Gilmour had other ideas, and the resulting legal battle gave ownership of the Pink Floyd to him and Mason. Wright rejoined too, officially as a hired-gun at first.
  • Pink Floyd, now led by Gilmour played huge tours with spectacular shows and recorded two more albums. (Three if you count The Endless River, which was mostly outtakes from The Division Bell)
  • Waters pursued a solo career, often upset that Pink Floyd were selling out stadiums with sets made up largely of material he had written while he had less success. (Comparatively!)
  • Pink Floyd's last tour was in 1994, and the last performance was when Waters rejoined as a one-off for Live 8 in 2005.

Obviously I've glossed over much of this, but I think that's enough to give the general background.

George

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, geoham said:

Let me bring you up to speed in as few bullet points as possible!

• After Syd Barrett left Pink Floyd, Roger Waters gradually became more dominant - being the main songwriter on their most famous albums (Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, The Wall). 
  • By the time of The Wall tour, keyboardist Richard Wright had been sacked from the band (apparently for too much cocaine and not enough creative input...), though was retained as a sideman for the live shows.
  • Waters' final album with Pink Floyd, The Final Cut is widely regarded as a solo album - with little creative input from Gilmour (guitar/vocals) or Mason (drums).
  • Waters then unilaterally dissolved the band - firmly believing there was no Pink Floyd without him.
  • Gilmour had other ideas, and the resulting legal battle gave ownership of the Pink Floyd to him and Mason. Wright rejoined too, officially as a hired-gun at first.
  • Pink Floyd, now led by Gilmour played huge tours with spectacular shows and recorded two more albums. (Three if you count The Endless River, which was mostly outtakes from The Division Bell)
  • Waters pursued a solo career, often upset that Pink Floyd were selling out stadiums with sets made up largely of material he had written while he had less success. (Comparatively!)
  • Pink Floyd's last tour was in 1994, and the last performance was when Waters rejoined as a one-off for Live 8 in 2005.

Obviously I've glossed over much of this, but I think that's enough to give the general background.

George

That's a few bullet points?

Thank you @geoham that was a rather good summary. I do know of Pink Floyd, they were in the 'older brothers' bands category when I was at school. Apart from the few very well known numbers I knew precious little about them. I now know more.

Having no dog in this particular fight I can see how the schism came about and how both parties might feel animosity towards the other.

If the keys guy really was hoovering the Peruvian then he would have become a deeply unpleasant character, the fact of his rehabilitation into the band therefore speaks of a capacity for forgiveness and rapprochement among those remaining members.

However none of us is privy to the detailed mechanics of the fued and so probably best leave that to those involved.

What I can see is how difficult it must be for the songwriter and band leader to watch other cats get fat out of what he regards as his larder.

Having said that, I'm a firm believer that such things are best kept off the record.

Roger Waters, for all his alleged faults, is still edgy - even in his old age - and I like that. All this recent attention prompted me to watch the 'Us and Them' tour film from a couple of year ago and there's a rawness to the music that is often lacking in performers as they get older, Gilmour's comparable efforts being a case in point.

• Like 1

And on page 4 of this, I think we could say that David Gilmour will not be giving a toss about Wodger being upset and may be quietly pleased that W is upset enough to be venting his anger on various media platforms.

As David said many moons ago, if Rodger had wanted to ruin Pink Floyd, all he had to do was stay in the band and not choose to leave saying to the other 2 that "you feckers wont be able to do it without me."

Such is the merry life of a band...

Edited by jezzaboy