Why become a member? ×

NBD: Ibanez SRMD205 Mezzo 5 string. Medium scale

fretmeister

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 22/05/2020 at 00:11, fretmeister said:

A slight annoyance... the medium scale D’addario B string. Can’t seem to find them for sale anywhere. Not on the d’addario website either.

The specs say it’s a set of nickel 170M being the medium 4 string set with an extra 0.130. It’s definitely a medium scale B as the speaking length gets just over the nut. So cannot be a long scale.

Ive emailed D’addario and Ibanez and I’ll update if I get a reply. They sound great on the bass.

Warwick do a low B medium steel and so do Dunlop, but I’d prefer to stick with the D’addarios nickels.

Dunlop also do what I think is the only 5 string set of medium scale flats.

Hi @fretmeister did you get anywhere with tracking down the appropriate 5 string set?  

52 minutes ago, redbandit599 said:

Hi @fretmeister did you get anywhere with tracking down the appropriate 5 string set?  

Nope. D'addario won't sell them to the public. Monumentally thick decision.

For rounds I've swapped over to the Newtone. Very happy with them indeed.

Dunlops for flats - love those strings.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

Nope. D'addario won't sell them to the public. Monumentally thick decision.

Does sound daft - also a bit limiting for Ibanez too. Inspired by the Ibanez I also recently bought a secondhand Warwick Corvette Rockbass 5 32" and wanted to swap the strings on that to the same as on the Ibanez.

Thanks for the Newtone suggestion.

• 2 months later...
On 31/01/2021 at 21:40, MarshallBTB said:

FInally got round to taking the pre out of mine and wiring it passive - volume/volume/tone - brilliant!  Was hunting for pickups but I don't think I'll bother, rolling tone off just a touch and its perfect. No noise either!

Ooh interesting. Have a Glockenklang ready to go in, but this sounds like a viable option. Good to hear that the pickups are good. 

• Like 1

On 31/01/2021 at 21:40, MarshallBTB said:

FInally got round to taking the pre out of mine and wiring it passive - volume/volume/tone - brilliant!  Was hunting for pickups but I don't think I'll bother, rolling tone off just a touch and its perfect. No noise either!

How is the difference in tone? I'm finding my Mezzo a little brittle in the high end and am considering putting a darker mud heavy P pickup in it like an SPB-2 so that the treble boost/cut is actually useful

• 1 month later...
16 hours ago, BassApprentice said:

Still not a huge fan of the SR shape, but I'm really enjoying my Bronco mod and my Kingston 35" 5er just feels a bit cumbersome. How do owners find the bridge pickup? It looks a bit far from the bridge for my liking, does it still do the bridge J noise reasonably well? 

I only use mine at home through a Fender Rumble 40 practice amp, so bear that in mind, but to be honest I find it useful as a thumb rest and that's about it. The P style pup is pretty good, and occasionally I mix in a bit of the J to change the tone a bit, but nearly always go back to the P solo-ed. Others may have different experiences of course. 👍

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, BassApprentice said:

Still not a huge fan of the SR shape, but I'm really enjoying my Bronco mod and my Kingston 35" 5er just feels a bit cumbersome. How do owners find the bridge pickup? It looks a bit far from the bridge for my liking, does it still do the bridge J noise reasonably well? 

Imo the two things that benefit from upgrading on this bass are the preamp and the J pickup, the J pickup is kind of pingy sounding to me, I have heard it is wound to only about 4k DC resistance which is probably why, I have upgraded the P pickup and the J will probably be my next upgrade.

Worth noting though that I am not typically a fan of bridge pickups on pj basses

Edited by shoulderpet
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BassApprentice said:

Thanks for that. I'd be tempted to route a bit more and stick either a double JJ or humbucker in there so I can get a proper bridge tone and just a bit more flexibility. 

Yeah I was half considering that myself as I pretty much always find bridge J pickups a bit weak sounding and when mixed with a neck pickup they are usually a bit too scooped at would be nice to have a pickup in that position that I can solo that doesn't sound really weedy

5 hours ago, fretmeister said:

The J is bit underpowered and a bit too forward for that back pickup thing.

My 4 string is about to have some EMG-X series pickups installed in it though so I expect that to improve a fair bit.

I kind of like that more forward placement of the J pickup, is in a position where you could probably add a big fat MM style pickup and get a half decent tone from it, I agree that it is underpowered though, I am thinking of swapping it out for a Duncan SJB-2 to try and counter that P/J both pickups on scoop and add a bit more balls, was thinking of adding the SJB-2 and doing series/parallel but the SPB-2 I have in there is already 22k and the SJB-2 is around 16k so would probably be mud city with both in series

Edited by shoulderpet

35 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

I must admit the thought had crossed my mind to get another 4 and rip out all the electronics and get a custom scratchplate and then put a nice MM type pickup in the right place.

Aguilar probably, with a 2 band EQ.

I mean, why not?

Thats actually a pretty good idea , after all if you have a customer scratchplate done you can always keep the old scratchplate and return it to its stock pickup configuration if you change your mind or decide to sell

2 minutes ago, shoulderpet said:

Thats actually a pretty good idea , after all if you have a customer scratchplate done you can always keep the old scratchplate and return it to its stock pickup configuration if you change your mind or decide to sell

Ultimately I might just put an mm pickup on the tmb35 at some point