Why become a member? ×

NBD: Ibanez SRMD205 Mezzo 5 string. Medium scale

fretmeister

So, how do I justify spending another $350?

Here's how I do it.

Fall in love with one of its expensive big brothers, and then go "What the heck. That one's only $350". 😂

Here's the one I'm lusting after at the moment. Apologies for the knuckleheads in the video.

Edited by TheMaartian

2 hours ago, sykilz said:

The surf and black ones are great, but when they do the five string in red.....will definitely get one.image.jpeg.f41a6c91645f696dbec28cb8565e413b.jpeg

I've seen the red in person at our local music store (Arizona Music Pro; yes, fortunate to still have one!). It's a stunner, for sure!

Edited by TheMaartian
  • Like 1

On 27/05/2020 at 22:52, MarshallBTB said:

Just ordered one of these, the same black 5! Been after a nice short 5 for ages and this was too tempting for the price.

Nice!

I've been doing a bit of digging for string options as low B medium scale strings are rare.

La Bella medium scales look like they will fit - including their lovely but expensive White Nylons (might need the nut slots a little wider)

Warwick Black Label rounds mediums will fit. The B is tapered on them

Newtone will make any scale you like to order, so they fit as well - just specify 860mm length to the "past the nut" taper excluding the Ball end. Rounds only.

There's only 1 set of medium scale 5 string flats I can find - Dunlops. I've emailed them to ask for their speaking length measurements to make sure that bit wouldn't be wrapping the post. I'll update if I get a reply.

I've just received a couple of the Black Label sets (Shipping was a flat fee from Germany so I got 2) but I haven't fitted them yet.

2 hours ago, MarshallBTB said:

Its here! Glad I bought this, flippin awesome. Plays really great straight out the box, it was almost in tune too. Not plugged it in yet but finish and feel seem spot on, even more so at this price. Winner 

WJaqrrL.gif

So after playing it for a couple of hours....

Feel and finish of it is excellent. Frets are spot on, I haven't done anything with the set up other than raise the bridge pickup ever so slightly. Intonation needs adjusting but it's only slightly off. 

Sounds good too! Very bright, I think I'll end up making it passive and replacing the wiring, not that I've looked inside at what's in there already mind you! Its probably perfectly fine. Just not keen on the preamp.

I think it's the best value bass I've bought new. Already considering a second one for a fretless project 🙄

Edited by MarshallBTB
  • Like 2

I’ve just put the medium scale Warwick Black Labels on it.

Nice Strings! Never used them before. I went for a lighter gauge and as with all Black Labels the B is tapered.

They fit perfectly and sound very nice. Bit rougher than the stock nickels as the BL are steels, but still good.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MarshallBTB said:

So after playing it for a couple of hours....

Feel and finish of it is excellent. Frets are spot on, I haven't done anything with the set up other than raise the bridge pickup ever so slightly. Intonation needs adjusting but it's only slightly off. 

Sounds good too! Very bright, I think I'll end up making it passive and replacing the wiring, not that I've looked inside at what's in there already mind you! Its probably perfectly fine. Just not keen on the preamp.

I think it's the best value bass I've bought new. Already considering a second one for a fretless project 🙄

I reckon the secret with the preamp is to turn both knobs down just a little, and leave it there.

I've been leaving the bass and treble controls in their detent center position (I'm hoping that's truly neutral) on my 4 string.

One other thing.

The battery.

It fits snuggly. Took me a bit of time to carefully wiggle it out. This is my first active bass, and when the battery got low, it started emitting a low tone every so often. Took me a second or a hundred to figure out what the "problem" was. Of course, the battery was the last thing I checked.

Can one of you kind people who own one of these do a couple of measurements please? I'd like to know what the string spacing at the nut is like, and also an idea of the string spacing over the neck pickup. I'd go out and try one, but that's not possible at the moment really!!

On 23/05/2020 at 22:54, TheMaartian said:

The Sea Foam Green Pearl is even better looking in person than in the photos. And the photos are gorgeous.

Also, the body contouring makes it very pleasant to play, standing or sitting.

The 5er wasn't available when I bought mine.

That's the colour I'm toying with for my birthday treat. To me. From me. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I keep looking at these a lot over the past few months...  I've had a strong lust for shorter scale basses, but I'm 100% a 5 string player, and these look like a great option without too much outlay. I'd probably rip the preamp out and install a passive loom tbh though. 

I don't need one, but..... Very tempted! 

Edited by TRBboy
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, TRBboy said:

I keep looking at these a lot over the past few months...  I've had a string list for shorter scale basses, but I'm 100% a 5 string player, and these look like a great option without too much outlay. I'd probably rip the preamp out and install a passive loom tbh though. 

I don't need one, but..... Very tempted! 

Me too.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

74E9F28C-3F3B-422A-8D31-CC43D6C971B2.thumb.png.dee0c052b66d1b648f1b93f0c795c795.pngFinally succumbed to the lure of one of these. Enjoying it a lot, balances beautifully, plays nicely and (IMO) looks the business. 
Pros.....fit and finish is awesome. The neck pocket is the best I think I've seen. Some don't like the bridge and tuners but I see nothing wrong with either, in fact I love the bridge it's like a slightly modernised fender bbot bridge ( which I like). Nice size, nice weight, balances perfectly. Neck  is Lovely and thin but feels solid. Sounds punchy and open. Roadster Orange baby!!!!!!

Cons.....the single coil pup hums like anything, I know they all do but this one seems very sensitive. Luckily the P pup is great.    The frets ( all very well fitted and no sharp edges) feel a little 'scratchy' , or could be the strings. Hopefully this will disappear as it gets played in a bit. The active electronics are very sensitive, a little movement makes a lot of difference. The bass is naturally zingy so careful on the treble!!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Just a little update for anyone who experiences the scratchy frets if they buy one of these...a few weeks in and it's all good, I spent some time just rubbing each string on each fret ( bending the fretted note up and down) which didn't sound nice , but smoothed the frets off nicely. I guess there was some production / shipping residue, or maybe just cheap fretwire, but whatever they're smooth as anything now and bass plays lovely.

• Like 1