Why become a member? ×

HIWATT PA 200 DR203 Valve Power Amplifier

guiguite

hi there

I m wondering if a HIWATT PA 200 DR203 could make a good bass amp ? It s a 200watt all tube PA head from the 70's ( i think)

I m looking to buy a tube amp and in many topics in the forum it is said that old PA head are pretty good ( with maybe some mods to do)

what do you think and how much do you think it is reasonable to spend for one of them ?

cheers

I've seen some bass players use other makes of English valve PA head for a bass amp. You'll probably get a nice clean, powerful signal from it. I've never seen one for sale before so I can't help with a reliable price. But I'd expect somewhere between 400-700 quid, depending on reviews. Two hundred watts will be plenty for a gig though! Good score, especially if you plan on using more than one bass. Is it stereo or mono?

• 11 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Old valve PA amps can be ace for bass. I have a 100 watt Carlsbro, which I like the sound of as much as any other similar size valve head I've tried. I modded one channel to a Fender style tone stack for a bit of variety, but the stock channels (which are flatter) are fine too. And given that a 100 watt valve amp is useable at surprising volumes, 200 watts should go a long way...